WWF

by Emily from Reynoldsburg

A hero doesn't necessarily have to be one person, it can be one organization or millions of people working for one cause. The WWF is the World Wildlife Fund and what they do is conserve the world's important natural places and species. The WWF works in over 100 countries and have 5 million members worldwide. Their mission is to "build a future in which people live in harmony with nature". This organization focuses on saving endangered animals, preserving natural places and addressing global threats with the help of their members. Someone as simple as you and I.

There are numerous ways you can make a difference and help with this organization. Many of these ways you don't even need to leave your home. Their online website is booming with ways to contribute to the environment. One way you can help is by planting a seed that will eventually grow into a tree or participate in "Earth Hour" which is an hour one day a year where you shut off all your lights. Another great way to contribute is by adopting an animal. Sounds crazy but, it's actually really simple. You go on the WWF website and register to adopt a variety of over 100 species and then once you picked your animal you can choose from sending $25, $50, $75, $100, or $250 to help save your animal. Also in return you receive gifts such as t-shirts and plush toys. Opportunities like this prove little things can make such an impact.

Being a hero doesn't always mean saving a life but, this organization does in fact do that. Their number of success stories just makes them that much more of hero. On August 26, 2013 the WWF website posted a story about a man in the country of Guinea who had been trafficking over 500 endangered chimpanzees along with lions, hyenas and tropical birds for over the past decade. The man and his two accomplices were sentenced to a very long jail time. Another amazing story is the WWF rescued an orphan rhino calf from poachers, who had killed the calf's mom, and then put it into India's Manas National Park where it will remain sheltered and fed.

The World Wildlife Fund is my hero because I believe strongly in saving our environment. This organization has done so much already with the help of so many people that its the worlds leading conservation organization. I myself am very passionate about animals and saving and preserving our community so I think every bit counts. They are the voice for those who have no voice.