Peace

Alan Magee: art is not a solace [excerpts]

Directed by: P. David Berez, David Wright | Starring: Alan Magee | Documentary | 2022 | United States | 10:46

This film comprises three short excerpts from a documentary about the artist Alan Magee. Best known for his captivating realist paintings, artist Alan Magee also creates works that delve into the darkest aspects of human nature. His arresting images which comment on corporate greed, on cruelty and gun violence, and on civilian and military victims of war seem at odds with his serene paintings of nature and found objects, but through his distinctive visual language and interconnected themes, Magee suggests that these dual realms are inseparably interwoven.​The documentary Alan Magee: art is not a solace explores the artist’s subjects, locales, and the historical sources which have sustained his work for five decades. Through his paintings, sculpture, monotypes, music, and short films Magee asks viewers to consider the breadth of human behavior and experience. As Barry Lopez observes, “Alan wants you to be attentive to the world around you, and being attentive to the world around you means you can’t just stare at what is conventionally beautiful— you must look at the whole panorama.”​Shot on location, from Pemaquid Point, Maine to the streets of Berlin, the film examines the ways in which art can address the great challenges we face as a society.

For More Information

Alan Magee Film
Alan Magee website