The MY HERO Project | Library

Babe Didrikson Zaharias: The Making of a Champion

By Russell Freedman

Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Company, August 1999
ISBN: 0395633672
MY HERO recommends this book to young adult readers.
From the Publisher
When Babe Didrikson Zaharias was a child, her goal was to be the greatest athlete who ever lived. Few people come as close to their childhood goals as Babe did. She was an All-American basketball player, an Olympic gold medalist in track and field, and a championship golfer who won eighty-two amateur and professional tournaments. She also mastered tennis, played exhibition baseball, and was an accomplished diver and bowler. The Associated Press elected her Woman Athlete of the Year six times and in 1950 named her Woman Athlete of the Half Century. Babe accomplished all of this at a time when most girls and women didn't take part in these sports. This insightful and well-researched biography from Newbery medalist Russell Freedman brings to life the woman who changed the world's perception of female athletes forever-Babe Didrikson Zaharias.
User Reviews:
Maggie | 3/13/2012 9:54 AM
I am reading this for a book project for school and I think that it is a great book for all ages. Most people do not know about Babe (even my teacher) it is a very interesting book.
gabriely rivera | 12/9/2010 7:40 AM
i love this book
Taylor Tyner and Lauren Flowers | 11/3/2008 2:46 AM
Babe is an awsome person we can look up to when  we want to acheive something athletic.
madisen | 8/28/2008 6:52 AM
this is sooooo cool
Jenna | 5/3/2007 11:57 AM
i've been reading this book and im on the second chapter and she is really an interesting person and im only 12 years old
ARLENE HERNANDEZ | 8/12/2006 7:58 AM
BABE DIDRIKSON IS MY HERO BECAUSE SHES THE ONE THAT MADE ME SAY YES IN KARATE.  WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE LIKE BABE DIDRIKSON.

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews