Clara Barton

by Evelyn from Center Valley

Ever since I was little I have wanted to be a nurse, and one day in third grade I had to do a report on someone that made a difference in America. I decided to do my report on Clara Barton. Clara Barton and I are a lot alike; we both wanted to be nurses ever since we were little. When Clara was little her brother got sick and she had to take care of him.

When she was older, she went to the general and asked to join in the army and work tending to the wounded sodiers. He said no because she was a woman. She didn't quit and eventually he did let her help. When she was out on the battlefeld Barton realized that the soldiers had barely any food and no blankets for warmth. So she went back to the general and asked for supplies for the sodiers. He said no. That night Barton snuck into the supply room and stole some supplies for the soldiers. She bought food with her own money, and wrote letters to their families asking for help.

One day she started spitting up blood. They sent for the medical doctor. He said that she was working too hard and she would have to rest. She didn't want to rest; she wanted to help the soldiers. But finally she promised that she would rest.

After the war she was asked to join a group of people that went around and gave people food, water, and shelter. So Barton automatically said yes. This was the beginning of the American Red Cross. On Decmber 25, her birthday, after her neighbors came over to wish her a merry Christmas and happy birthday she went to her bed, fell asleep, and died.

Clara Barton did a lot for this country. And she did a lot for me. She helped our country and we should all be thankful. I know I am. So I close in sympathy for my hero.

The Clara Barton hero page by Abby Baxter Burks
The American Red Cross - The Swiss lifesaving organization that Clara Barton introduced to America