Walk Again Project

AASDAP and Lente Viva Filmes | 2016 | Brazil | 4:00

We selected Dr. Miguel Nicolelis as the recipient of the MY HERO Immersive Storytelling Award because we felt that his innovative use of VR technology in the Walk Again Project is really changing lives in a significant way. He deserves to be recognized as a remarkable hero using VR for Good.

Walk Again Project (WAP)

Professor of Neurobiology, Biomedical Engineering and Psychology and Neuroscience, and founder of Duke's Center for Neuroengineering.

Dr. Nicolelis is also founder of the Walk Again Project, an international consortium of scientists and engineers, dedicated to the development of an exoskeleton device to assist severely paralyzed patients in regaining full body mobility.

<
>

Judith Haron - Wildlife Illumination Artist
Judith Haron an artist with both talent and a purpose.
4:44
Bashir's Dream
Bashir's Dream centers around Qusai Bashir Masaama, a 14-year-old Syrian refugee in Jordan who was shot in the back by a sniper while on a candy run.
2:41
The PEACE Project: Restorative Justice
Victim Offender Mediation is a restorative justice practice that emphasizes offender accountability, providing victims a voice in being a part of the solution of juvenile crime, and an opportunity to repair the harm caused to the victim.
4:16
Take Every Wave: Laird in VR
Laird Hamilton's life is unlike many others in that his pursuit of excellent physical condition and forward-thinking wave-riding is still thriving at the age of 53. Enter what's regarded as the longest wave in the world: Chicama, Peru.
2:30
ROOTED in PEACE - Trailer
ROOTED in PEACE challenges viewers to examine their values as Americans and human beings.
4:19
Noisia - Mantra
Mantra chronicles the dangerous obstacles refugees face on their journeys to reach safer harbors.
9:43
Le Quinze Mai a Paris
password: gomezz23 Barbara De Fina (Martin Scorsese's producer of 40 years) presents shots of Paris on May 15, 2016 with a Parisian narrator telling us the story of May 15, 1848, when protesters finally pushed the establishment to let them have a popular vote to elect their ruler.
Women Transforming Media: Jen Senko
Jennifer Morrison, Actor, Producer, Director
Women Transforming Media talks to actor/producer/director Jennifer Morrison about winning the 2016 Hollyshort Trailblazer award, shorts versus features, her short "Wild Wild Horses" and how films are her friends.
Jane Fleming, President Emeritus Women in Film
Jane Fleming, Women In Film President Emeritus, talks about WIF's Systemic Change Project.
Women Transforming Media: Cari Beauchamp
Cari Beauchamp is an award-winning author, film historian and documentary filmmaker. In her book about the nearly-lost history of the powerful women writers of early Hollywood, Without Lying Down, she resurrects the figure of Frances Marion, who reigned as the highest paid screenwriter or two decades. With the book nearing its 20th anniversary, we talk to Cari about how she rescued Frances Marion "from the footnotes of history."
9:06
Women Transforming Media: Jen Senko
In her second documentary feature, Jen Senko analyzes the rise of right wing media through her relationship with her father, who became "unreachable" after he started to listen to right-wing radio and watch Fox News avidly. Jen shares her experiences making of the film through Kickstarter, where her project got the attention of Emmy Award-nominated actor Matthew Modine, who ended up narrating the film and co-producing it with his production company, Cinco Dedos Peliculas. Jen talks about getting interview subjects to help explain what happened to her father, and how we got to today's pisive media landscape.
Women Transforming Media: Kim Adelman
Women Transforming Media talks to the queen of short filmmaking, Kim Adelman about the newest edition of her book, Making It Big in Shorts. Kim tells us about programming the American Cinematheque's Focus on Female Directors Showcase for over a decade, the Female Filmmaking Collective, and why you should make a short film.
Harry Dean Stanton Award @ Ace Hotel
5:54
Bella Gaia VR
BELLA GAIA is an unprecedented NASA-powered immersive experience that communicates without words, the BEAUTY of the planet both natural and cultural (BELLA) - and the INTERCONNECTEDNESS of all things on Earth (GAIA).
11:00
Step to the Line
Password: STTL4Festival Shot entirely on location in California maximum security prisons, Step to the Line is a virtual reality documentary that aims to provoke a transformation in the spectator’s eyes about prisoners, the prison system, and even themselves.
4:15
Troubled Water Pitch
The 30-minute documentary "Troubled Water" tells the story of one farmer and his community's fight for clean water in El Salvador against the environmental crisis caused by a mining corporation.
B R E A T H L E S S
An inspiring journey that dives deep into the reflection of one man coming to terms with the breathtaking nature of time.
UKA
Uka is a little girl who lives in a grey abandoned factory. While she's painting of of her canvas, she finds a way of changing how she sees the world.
4:04
Beneath the Surface (Excerpt)
Here is little micro-cut of our documentary Beneath the Surface.