Science

Walk Again Project

Produced by: AASDAP and Lente Viva Filmes | 2016 | Brazil | 4:00

We selected Dr. Miguel Nicolelis as the recipient of the MY HERO Immersive Storytelling Award because we felt that his innovative use of VR technology in the Walk Again Project is really changing lives in a significant way. He deserves to be recognized as a remarkable hero using VR for Good.

Walk Again Project (WAP)

Professor of Neurobiology, Biomedical Engineering and Psychology and Neuroscience, and founder of Duke's Center for Neuroengineering.

Dr. Nicolelis is also founder of the Walk Again Project, an international consortium of scientists and engineers, dedicated to the development of an exoskeleton device to assist severely paralyzed patients in regaining full body mobility.

<
>

10:30
Space Cleaners
Scientists in Germany and around the world are trying to get a grip on the problem of space debris, which is threatening everyday life as we know it today.
Secrets of the Universe (Trailer)
SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE IS A SWEEPING, 3D GIANT-SCREEN ADVENTURE THAT IMMERSES AUDIENCES IN THE GREATEST MYSTERIES OF OUR TIME...
Breaking Boundaries in Science VR
Breaking Boundaries is an interactive celebration of history’s most influential women scientists.
2:06
The hydrologic corridor
An explanation of our system approach: the hydrologic corridor.
4:00
Walk Again Project
9:40
The $1 Microscope
A device made from paper promises to make microscopes as widely available as pencils.
Providing Mobility Through Low-Cost Prosthetics
Mobility Mission is a local, nonprofit organization providing prosthetic care to hundreds of amputees worldwide that otherwise could not afford this needed service.
The Contenders
Using the online puzzle game Fold It, scientists are enlisting video gamers to solve real- world problems.
The Super Supercapacitor
Ric Kaner set out to find a new way to make graphene, the thinnest and strongest material on earth. What he found was a new way to power the world.
6 minutes
A Woman's Place is in the Lab
A historical look at the long road for women in science. Following the outstanding career of Dr. Gail Brown, PhD. Renowned Scientist.
5:41 Minutes
ABC Miracle Workers
Dr. Holland, an opthalmologist helped Todd Heritage, blind since childhood, to see again.
The Secret of Trees
What do trees know that we don't? 13-year-old inventor Aiden set out to find out.
3:34
SLINGSHOT
Best known for his Segway Personal Transporter, inventor Dean Kamen is taking on great challenges one invention at a time. SlingShot is the story of Kamen, his water purification technology, and his innovative approach to the safe water crisis.
The Story of Cholera
The Story of Cholera will save lives.
3:27
The Researcher
Dibesh Karmacharya is a conservation biologist who returned to his home country of Nepal to contribute his genetics expertise to a momentous task: conserving the Bengal tiger in the Himalayas.
7
Bella Gaia
Bella Galia means Beautiful Earth. Producer Kenji Williams came up with the idea after meeting an astronaut who lived on a space station for 6 months.
10:58
Help Mary Save Coral
One woman's effort to save the world's underrated natural resource, coral.