Activist
Produced by: Will Parrinello
Seva Origins
9:24
Sorry, your browser does not support inline SVG. Sorry, your browser does not support inline SVG.

Seva Origins

Produced by: Will Parrinello | Documentary | | 9:24

35 years ago the Seva Foundation was founded by a group of medical professionals, counterculture activists, musicians, and compassionate individuals, all dedicated to the prevention of blindness around the globe. Most notably among the founders are public health experts Dr. Larry Brilliant , spiritual leader Ram Dass, humanitarian activist Wavy Gravy, the World Health Organization's Nicole Grasset and Indian eye surgeon, Dr. G. Venkataswami. In some circles Seva is best known for its world-class, benefit rock concerts. They began when the Grateful Dead first performed a benefit to help get the organization off the ground. In the 35 years since, hundreds of all-star musicians have graced the stage and helped raise millions in support of Seva's global programs. Recent events have included Joan Baez, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Elvis Costello, David Crosby, Graham Nash, Ani DiFranco, Ben Harper, Hot Tuna, Blind Boys of Alabama, and many many more! Seva's work is made possible by the generosity of donors, foundations, volunteers and friends — all joined together in the spirit of service.