Activist
Produced by: Slater Jewell-Kemker from CANADA / USA
An Inconvenient Youth -- 2012
11:31
Sorry, your browser does not support inline SVG. Sorry, your browser does not support inline SVG.

An Inconvenient Youth -- 2012

Produced by: Slater Jewell-Kemker from CANADA / USA | Documentary | 2012 | Canada / USA | 11:31

Slater Jewell-Kemker is an award winning 20 year old director who is introducing her generation to the international youth climate movement. Born in Los Angeles to filmmaker parents, she has grown up with the belief that she could not only create her own media, but change the world around her by doing so. For the past four years she’s been doing just that in her ongoing documentary, “An Inconvenient Youth”, a film whose main goal is to give young people on the front lines of climate change a voice, but also to shift the perspective on the climate crisis from one of fear and misunderstanding to one of the heart. She has been recognized for her filmmaking and activism by the United Nations, Toronto International Film Festival, Sidewalk Film Festival, My Hero Film Festival, SilverDocs, Cannes and others. In addition, she’s given numerous workshops on filmmaking within the youth climate community, enabling young people of her generation to tell their own stories and be empowered to stand up for a green, sustainable, caring world. Slater and “An Inconvenient Youth” are currently working with Architecture for Humanity to develop a prototype off-the-grid facility for small communities most affected by climate change. These shelters, designed to collect fresh water and solar power, are more than shelter during times of emergency, they are year-round safe spaces designed to address each village’s cultural and communal needs.

<
>

7:48
What if...
This short documentary film shatters the preconceptions of homelessness, explores the ramifications of unstable housing for children, and provides a solution.
5:25
Never Too Old
"Karthyayani Amma of Cheppad village took up pen for the first time when she was 94 in 2017.
Conserving water
Siberian tiger video
Dogs
protect the gray wolf
animal rights matter
Animal Rights
What do you care about?
RBG [Trailer]
At the age of 84, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has developed a breathtaking legal legacy while becoming an unexpected pop culture icon.
2:53
My Life with Rosie [Trailer]
This documentary is focused on Rosie Parks' 40 years of community service in the city of Detroit.
Playas de Tijuana
An inspiring poem about the border fence that meets the sea, where names become prayers and where “the worst place to be is here and not there.”
T(he)y
Each day, different people experience and view the world through entirely different lenses, based on those identities. Often, we forget that this is the case.
3:46
Still I Rise
A visual and musical interpretation of American poet and civil rights activist Maya Angelou’s electrifying poem "Still I Rise."
3:28
mothers2mothers: Chancy
Mothers2mothers addresses the health needs of under-served communities in Africa by empowering "Mentor Mothers" to work in local communities and provide medical services that are sorely lacking.
4:57
Idle No More
Heather Archibald was a social activist and foster care child who passed away. Her strong words are honored in this film.
5:53
Educate Girls
In India, the majority of girls do not complete their primary education. Educate Girls is working to make education more accessible to girls by partnering with public schools, training local champions for girls’ education, and mobilizing communities to help girls achieve their full potential
4:28
The Last Straw
Nine-year-old Milo Cress is concerned about the millions of straws that pollute waterways, waste fossil-fuel resource and harm ocean creatures. With the help of some friends, he convinces restaurants to “go straw-free”. Milo then takes the fight all the way to Capitol Hill.
He Named Me Malala - Official Trailer
HE NAMED ME MALALA is a portrait of Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Malala Yousafzai.
Soundiata Keita