Press_Release

FINALISTS NAMED IN THE 2023 WOJ YOUTH REPORTER AWARD

by MY HERO Media from Laguna Beach

PRESS RELEASE

CONTACT:                                                    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Wendy Milette
Director The MY HERO International Film Festival
[email protected]

152957WOJ AwardMY HERO

OCTOBER 12, 2023 – LAGUNA BEACH, CA 

MY HERO’s 19th International Film Festival Presents the WOJ Youth Reporter Awards Finalists

The WOJ Youth Reporter Award celebrates youth reporters who are creating videos on heroes making a positive difference in their community and the world. This award is presented by Esther Wojcicki, an outstanding media arts educator, author and journalist. The prize is open for Middle and High School Students with cash prizes up to $2000.

This year, there are 7 High School finalists and 5 Middle School finalists:

High School Finalists

Unveiling The City By: Oliver Cho - A student documentary about the disappearance of San Francisco’s iconic fog.

152958Unveiling the City

Oliver ChoA Prayer for My Mother: The Eva Brettler Story By: Cheri Gaulke and Samara Hutman - A film that chronicles the saga of Holocaust survivor Eva Brettler.

152959A Prayer for My MotherCheri Gaulke and Samara Hutman

Shalom Ukraine (Youth Bridge) By: Olga Kotlytska -A film about Ukrainian teenage refugees from different parts of Ukraine.

152959Olga KotlytskaShalom Ukraine (Youth Bridge)

How Consumer Culture Drives Climate Change By: Lian Crystal Wang - An overview of how consumption has devastating climate implications.

152960How Consumer Culture Drives Climate ChangeLian Crystal Wang

Oasis: The Projection of your own Identity By: Amiko Muscat - Jessica Recinos is yearning to pursue her identity and culture through dance.

152959Amiko MuscatOasis: The Projection of your own Identity

Finding Home - By: Ethan Dumper - A short documentary about the systemic problems behind Homelessness and possible solutions.

152963Finding HomeEthan Dumper

Our Energy: A Student Documentary By: Mayu Simpson, Shayna Blum - This documentary addresses the issue of excessive energy use and the hope for its conservation.

152962Our Energy: A Student DocumentaryMayu Simpson, Shayna Blum

Middle School Finalists

Echoes of Peace - The Gandhi Story By: Daniel Joseph Taylor - This film is about the life of Mahatma Gandhi and his fight for India's independence.

Fannie Lou Hamer - A Civil Rights Unsung Hero By: Elia Grace Defore - This documentary is about the unsung hero Fannie Lou Hamer who helped African Americans receive their right to vote.

Bessie Coleman: An American Aviator By: Scarlotte Noel Hammock, Eliza Biltz - This documentary details the achievements of Bessie Coleman.

My Hero - Maya Angelou By: Sakura Forney - Maya Angelou's life and how she changed her community's perspective on racism and sexism.

Heroes Among Us - A Conversation with Captain Alma Lowry By: Clara Yang - Captain Lowry shares her experiences in leadership.

To see previous Youth Reporter winners go to: /the-woj-youth-reporter-award

About the MY HERO International Film Festival:

The My Hero Film Festival is an annual event dedicated to showcasing films that celebrate the power of the human spirit. Hosted by Eva Haller, a prominent philanthropist and advocate for social change, the festival provides a platform for filmmakers to share inspirational stories of everyday heroes. Thanks to generous sponsors, prizes are awarded to elementary, middle school, high school, college and professionals in a variety of categories including documentary, narrative, music video, animation, experimental, and more.

The festival aims to inspire audiences to recognize the heroism in their own lives and encourage positive actions in their communities. Learn more.

Join us for the Awards Celebration on Saturday November 18th at 2pm (PST). Festival winners and their heroes will be on hand to answer questions and share their stories. Short clips from select films will be screened. Awards are given to winners at Elementary, Middle School, High School, College and Professional levels. Register HERE.