The Passengers of Flight 93

by Nicole from USA

9/11 hero

Who is a hero in your eyes? A hero doesn’t have to know how to fly or jump off a 50 foot building just to save a kitten. Heroes can be ordinary people doing extraordinary deeds. I am inspired by a group of people who touched the lives of people all over the world on September 11, 2001, the Flight 93 passengers.

Many of the passengers of Flight 93 weren’t even supposed to be on the flight that dreadful day. The flight was mainly a make-up flight and, therefore, had only forty-two passengers. This made it an ideal plane to hijack.

My heroes are your average, everyday people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Anyone could have been on the plane that day, but it seems that these people were chosen for a special reason. They were brave, selfless, and courageous. That is what it took to save lives.

When everyone was aboard the plane, it slowly and smoothly took off. Everything seemed fine until passengers heard a loud scream. A flight attendant had been stabbed, and the plane was making sharp turns! Everyone aboard began to call loved ones to report the news that the plane was obviously being hijacked. “We’re going to do something. I know I’m not going to get out of this,” passenger Todd Beamer reported to his wife. With that said, five men rammed down the cockpit door and took over the plane. The building that the hijackers were planning to hit was out of sight and all they saw was a wide open field. About two minutes later, the plane crashed.

No one survived, but in my eyes the passengers were true heroes. My heroes put others’ lives before their own and saved many people from their fate. If it wasn’t for those men, the people in the building that the hijackers were going to hit wouldn’t be alive today.

The passengers were loyal to our country and did an extraordinary deed. They inspire me because of their courage to ram down that cockpit door and stand up for our country, knowing they would not survive. They are truly life protectors.

Since that fatal day, I have been trying harder to reach goals and show more perseverance in my life. I look at life in a different way and have learned to appreciate it a little more. I still believe that everything happens for a reason and that those heroes were on that plane to save lives.

My heroes are very important to me for a number of reasons. They are brave, courageous, and selfless. After the crash, when my friend was getting made fun of, I stepped in and stood up for her, just as the passengers stood up for our country. They didn’t just inspire me for a short time, but they changed my life forever. If it wasn’t for those passengers, I really don’t think I would have tried so hard at the things I do. If they aren’t heroes, I don’t know who is.

Jeremy Glick is Emmy Glick's hero - MY HERO story by Emmy Glick
Tom Burnett - MY HERO story by Jack from Eden Prairie
Todd Beamer - Brandon from Minnesota