The Mysterious Angel, Mr. Heimlich

by Gabrielle from Laguna Beach, Calif.

I would like to tell you about my hero. Who is this person? I had never met him before, and I have never seen him again, but he saved my life and was glad to help. We gave him the name "Mr. Heimlich" because that is what he did to save my life...the Heimlich Maneuver. When this happened, he was very quick and quiet. He was also very brave to help a stranger.

When did this happen? It was January 2003. I was 6 years old and in first grade. We were rehearsing on a Thursday night in preparation for our annual talent show, and I had already sung my song and was hungry.

Where, you ask? We were in our high school theater. I was in the audience waiting for my sister to finish her performance. My mom and I were in the theater seats about halfway up, around row N.

What exactly did Mr. Heimlich do? I was eating a piece of bread that my grandfather made. I was hurrying and accidentally swallowed a huge piece. It got stuck. It wouldn't go down, couldn't come up, and it was so big it blocked my air hole. I started hitting my mom to get her attention. She started screaming for someone to help. A stranger (Mr. Heimlich) immediately jumped over the seats to help me. He picked me up around the waist and shook me. I coughed and out the bread came.

Why is he my hero? This man was a total stranger and was willing to help another stranger. He saved my life. He didn't take any credit, but was just glad to help a child. Also, he helped my mom by taking over when she was afraid.

I will always remember that horrible/wonderful moment when Mr. Heimlich (who can very possibly be my guardian angel) made it possible for me to be here today and write this story for you.