Hispanic Heritage Month

September 15 to October 15 | A national holiday celebrating the contribution of Hispanic and Latino artists, scientists, activists and human rights leaders to the United States.

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for Hispanic Heritage Month. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Credit: Rebecca Amber [PUBLIC DOMAIN] via US Air Force

The Community They Fight For

Producer: Mill Valley Film Group
Latino community activist Mark Lopez pushed government officials to provide comprehensive lead testing and cleanup of East Los Angeles homes contaminated by a battery smelter that had been operating for over three decades.

Films about Hispanic/Latino Heroes

Hispanic and Latino community activists, educators and filmmakers are featured in this selection of short films highlighting the heroism of individuals in the United States.

Erica Fernandez: The Tool of Protest

Produced by:The Center for Advancing Unity & The Working Group

Erica Fernandez, a brave and passionate young activist, defends her community from corporate polluters!

Velo Visionaries - Alicia Tapia

In Episode 3 of Velo Visionaries, we talk/ride with Alicia Tapia, creator of Bibliobicicleta, a free library on wheels that can be found weekly in The Panhandle in San Francisco.

G.I. José

Alejandro Marquez Vela

The film director, Alejandro Marquez Vela , creates a riveting and poignant narrative about the immigration crisis. This film is recommended for mature audiences - it contains strong language and violence -viewer discretion advised. PASSWORD: Jose

A Mexican-American U.S. Army soldier comes back home and has a dilemma.

MY HERO Suggested Video

"Hidden Figuras: Jovita Idár" (2018) by BESE

An educator, journalist, activist and sometimes nurse, Idár is one of the most historically significant Texans that you've never heard of. And that's no surprise.

Founded by Zoe Saldana, BESE's mission is to broaden and reshape the cultural narrative by shining light on the untold stories that reflect today’s America. We respect all identities and admire the people who have the courage to say, “this is who I am.”

MY HERO Suggested Video

"We can do something about global warming" - Nobel Laureate Mario Molina (1995 Chemistry) by Nobel Prize

Stories about Hispanic/Latino Heroes

Sonia Smith-Kang: Mixed Up Clothing

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
Sonia Smith-Kang is the founder of Mixed Up Clothing, a boutique children's clothing line. During the coronavirus, she is using her fabric to make masks for customers and medical workers.

Dolores Huerta

By: Rachel Parsons

Huerta began to see the need for agricultural workers to organize for labor rights as a teacher. Many of her students were children of migrant workers.

Ellen Ochoa

By: Daniel Chavez
Ellen Ochoa was the first Hispanic woman astronaut.

Julissa Arce

By: Iris Liu

Julissa Arce is a Mexican immigrant and social justice advocate who cofounded the Ascend Educational Fund.

ESL Stories

Cesar Chavez

By: Annie from San Diego
Cesar Chavez was a tireless advocate for migrant farm workers.

Fabiola Cabeza de Baca Gilbert

By: Emma Navajas
Fabiola Cabeza de Baca Gilbert made tremendous advancements in food safety in the American Southwest.

Dr. France Cordova

By: Barbara Field

Dr. France Cordova is a renowned astrophysicist who has broken gender and cultural barriers. She is currently the director of the US National Science Foundation. [This story is also available in Spanish.]

Latinx artists commemorate their ancestry, honor social activists, and uphold multi-generational stories through art. 

Agave Americana by Noel Marquez, Muralist from New Mexico
Credit: Noel Marquez

Dolores Huerta by Marilyn Huerta, Portrait artist

By: Marilyn Huerta

Dolores Huerta is an American labor leader and civil rights activist  of Hispanic descent who, with Cesar Chavez, is co-founder of the National Farmworkers Association

Hispanic Pride

By: Jose Acosta
" I was born in Cuba where I lived until the age of three, then, with my family, immigrated to the United States. Therefore, my paintings depict my history."

On Prom Night I Danced With My Grandmother by Theresa Rosado

By: Theresa Rosado

"Most images I create are from memory of people I know around me. Memory forces me to move away from realism towards something truly of the artist's origin."

Cesar Chavez by Marilyn Huerta, Portrait artist

By: Marilyn Huerta

Remembering the legacy of Cesar Chavez Hispanic heritage hero and labor organizer (UFW) who tirelessly fought for farm workers in California.

Rafael Lopez Art for BRAVO! POEMS ABOUT AMAZING HISPANICS

The Hispanics featured in this collection come from different backgrounds and from many different countries. Celebrate their accomplishments and their contributions to a collective history and a community that continues to evolve and thrive today! (Artwork displayed with permission from the artist.) 

Cesar Chavez

By: Rafael Lopez

Chavez was a civil rights activist and fought for farm workers.

Julia de Burgos

By: Rafael Lopez

A Puerto Rican poet and advocate for Puerto Rican independence.

Jose Marti

By: Rafael Lopez

An illustrator and artist who brings diverse characters to children's books.

Juana Briones

By: Rafeal Lopez

A Mexican-American pioneer of the 19th Century.

Audio

"Recuerdos de Lieja (Live at Lukowski Festival)" by Leo Brouwer A Classical Guitar recording

Juan Leovigildo Brouwer Mezquida was born March 1, 1939 in Havana is a Cuban composer, conductor, and guitarist. 

Related Pages

Playas de Tijuana

Sophie Kim
An inspiring poem about the border fence that meets the sea, where names become prayers and where “the worst place to be is here and not there.”

Sincretismo

Sophie Kim
The words of a Guatemalan priestess of Maximón give insight into this deity and folk saint born of the ancient Maya traditions centuries ago

Links

Our Curators

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Giselle Villatoro. 

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Shannon Luders-Manuel. 

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Organizer created on 9/6/2017 9:45:20 AM by Jeanne Meyers

Last edited 10/9/2020 3:15:13 PM by Xenia Shin