International Education Week Teacher Lesson Plan

Share the importance of International Education Week with your students. Bring classrooms to life with MY HERO's Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Teachers. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

International Education Week
Credit: mh

Students learn about one or all of the following educators and those working towards education equality, then consider the discussion questions and activities.

Students watch the film and read the story to learn about educator Erin Gruwell. Gruwell makes it her goal to teach students to put down their fists and guns and pick up a pen. She inspires students to accept differences between themselves and other people.  

Freedom Writers: Stories From an Undeclared War [Trailer]

Producer: Freedom Writers Foundation

Inspired by their teacher, Erin Gruwell, and the writings of Anne Frank, the students discover a new way to express themselves.

Erin Gruwell

By: Annie Merkley

Erin Gruwell continues to inspire educators and students around the world with her compassion and wisdom.

Students read the story and watch the film to learn about Sal Khan, who revolutionized learning by founding the Khan Academy, a free educational online tool that helps educate students. 

Supercharging the Classroom: Using Technology to Support Personalized Learning

Produced by:Edutopia

Sal Khan founded a school on the same principles of personalization that drove the success of his YouTube tutorials.

Salman (Sal) Khan

By: Suha Memon

Salman Khan created Khan Academy, a free online educational platform.

Students read the story to learn about Cheikh Darou Seck, global educator and principal of a school in Senegal. Seck brings educational opportunities to students in his country.

Cheikh Darou Seck - Global Educator

Producer: MY HERO

Cheikh Darou Seck is the 2009 winner of the MY HERO Global Educator Award.

MY HERO IS CHEIKH SECK

By: Antonio Mendoza

MY HERO ambassador, educator, principal from Dakar, Senegal

Students read the story about Mohamed Sidibay, a global education activist and former child soldier who dedicates his life to advocating the importance of education for all children. Then analyze the cartoon created by NY Times illustrator Liza Donnelly.

Activist Mohamed Sidibay - Education for All

By: Betty Bailey

Global education activist and former child soldier Mohamed Sidibay has dedicated his life to education for all.

The Power of Education (MSidibay)

By: Liza Donnelly

Cartoon by NY Times illustrator Liza Donnelly of Mohamed Sidibay speaking about the power of education at the 2018 Global Education and Skills Forum in Dubai.

Discussion Questions and Activities

1. Erin Gruwell inspired her students by focusing her English classes on storytelling, compassion and tolerance, which made a positive difference in their lives. Which teacher has made a positive impact on your life? Share his or her story with MY HERO. 

2. Sal Khan created the Khan Academy to provide free online lessons and tools to help educate students. Mohamed Sidibay works to spread the message that all children deserve an education. Do you know anyone who works to bring education to those who may not have access? Share his or her story with MY HERO.  

3. Cheikh Darou Seck is an educator in Senegal. Research education opportunities for students globally. What surprised you? Who is working to improve educational opportunities globally? Share his or her story with MY HERO.

Learn about additional global educators by reading the stories and watching the film below.

* Watch the film about Charles Antipem from Ghana, who invented a small science set that helps African children engage in scientific experiments.

* Read the story Techo and Techo para Aprender about an organization started in Chile to assist with housing for the poor. The organization is now in 19 countries throughout Latin America and the Caribbean, helping to bring educational opportunities to each country's impoverished children.

* Read the story about Alexandra's grandfather Felix Elizalde, who advocated for the importance of education. (This story is available in text and audio so students can listen as they read along. Great for ESL/EFF students.)

Charles Ofori Antipem

Cheikh Darou Seck

Chales Antipem invents a science set to help African students engage in scientific experiments.

Techo and Techo para Aprender

By: Annie Merkley

Techo and Techo para Aprender are nonprofits in Chile that help empower impoverished communities through leadership, housing and education.

The story below is available in text and audio, allowing students to listen as they read along. Great for ESL/EFF Students.

Felix Elizalde

By: Alexandra from Newark

Alexandra writes about her grandfather, Felix Elizalde, who worked alongside Cesar Chavez by advocating for the importance of education.

Discussion Questions and Activities

1. Charles Antipem from Ghana invented a science set to help African children engage in scientific experiments. What other inventions have opened up opportunities for students to learn? Do some research and share the story with MY HERO. 

2. Techo & Techo is now in 19 countries throughout Latin America and the Caribbean, bringing educational opportunities to impoverished children. What other organizations work to bring educational opportunities to children who may not otherwise receive an education? Share the story with MY HERO.   

3. Felix Elizalde, Alexandra's grandfather, believed in the importance of education and the accessibility of higher education for Latino students. Is there someone in your family who works in education? Interview your family member and share the story with MY HERO.

Story for Younger Readers - by a Younger Reader

Bill Belsey

By: Jesse from Calgary

Bill Belsey teaches his students and others how to stand up to bullying.

Discussion Questions and Activities

1. Jesse's hero is her teacher Bill Belsey. Do you have a teacher you admire? Share his or her story with MY HERO. 

2. One of the reasons Jesse admires her teacher Bill Belsey is because he is committed to end bullying. How does your school work to end bullying? What can you do? Get involved and share the story with MY HERO.  

Students analyze the the portraits of the educators below, paying attention to the inclusion of text.

Who is an educator you admire?

Create a portrait of your hero with text that represents this educator to submit to the MY HERO Gallery. 

Betty Morgan by Robert Shetterly

By: Americans WhoTelltheTruth.org

Teacher, superintendent, and educational consultant

John Hunter

By: Robert Shetterly

Visionary and fourth grade teacher and the creator of the World Peace Game

Learning Outcome

Students will recognize that the opportunity to receive an education is not available to all children. Students will identify people in their schools, community, and family, as well as organizations, who work to improve access to education. 

MY HERO Related Page Links

Learning Circle

By: Laura Nietzer

A Place for Educators to Learn About the MY HERO Learning Circle Partnership with iEARN.

Global Educator Award Winners

By: Wendy Milette

Honoring leaders in Global Education

Links

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Students: Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 10/9/2019 7:46:48 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 10/16/2019 4:21:09 PM by Xenia Shin