International Youth Day | August 12

Take part in International Youth Day with MY HERO's multimedia showcase celebrating the work of youth ages 15-24, and learn about their challenges and successes working to make the world a better place.

The theme for International Youth Day 2022 is 'Intergenerational Solidarity: Creating a World for All Ages'. Says the UN: "In order to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the world needs to leverage the full potential of all generations. We must collaborate to foster successful and equitable intergenerational relations and partnerships to ensure 'no one is left behind.'"

Teachers: Share the importance of International Youth Day with your students. Use the International Youth Day Multimedia Lesson Plan in the classroom. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Films

Interview with Youth Activist Sophie Healy-Thow

Kitty Richardson

Learn about the Act4Food Act4Change campaign founded by Irish Youth Activist Sophie Healy-Thow amongst other young people aspiring for change in the food industry.

Climate Change

Philip Kapadia
The film showcases the effects of climate change, and what we could face if we don't take action soon.

Brave New World

Zoltán Bendegúz Szabó | Toldy Ferenc High School
Brave New World is about climate change.

Planting to Protect

Gavin Nguyen, Mason Li, Angela Kim, and Angelica Chi
The Irvine Ranch Conservancy's Native Seed Farm plays an important role in protecting California's unique ecosystem.

MY HERO Suggested Video

"Athletic, Concerned College Students Deliver 626,000+ lbs of Produce to Food Banks in Need" (2020) by The Farm Link Project

Get involved at FarmLink.org

Off the Grid: A Climate Solution

Produced by:Slater Jewell-Kemker
Two girls go to Nepal to build a shelter that will collect fresh water and solar energy in hopes of solving community problems.

Slater Unstoppable

Producer: MY HERO

Director Slater Jewell-Kemker shares her journey with MY HERO.

Feed the Future

Natalie Wylie
This film illustrates the environmental effects of meat consumption.

MABON ‘The 8 year old activist’

Jack Davies
Our world has a serious ocean plastics problem. There are now a higher number of plastics in the ocean than the number of fish.

The Future is Electric

Aliana Shanks | STEAM Academy
The students at STEAM Academy discuss the benefits of electric cars. They send their teacher into time travel while giving information on their quest to change the future.

MY HERO Suggested Video

"Isra Hirsi" (2019) by Brower Youth Awards

Isra Hirsi is a 16 year old from Minneapolis, Minnesota, who is the Co-Founder and Co-Executive Director of the US Youth Climate Strike which focuses on fighting the climate crisis through climate strikes and climate policy.

Words Have Power

Produced by:Lynne Cherry
10-year-old Jaysa rallies the community with her speeches about how the power plant causes asthma and “so much suffering.” When they succeed in shutting down the plant, Jaysa concludes that “words have power.”

Mohamed Sidibay: Teaching Peace

Produced by:The MY HERO Project
Mohamed Sidibay is a survivor of a horrific civil war in Sierra Leone, where he was forced to fight as a child soldier. Now he advocates for better access to education worldwide.

Stories

Greta Thunberg

By: MY HERO Staff
On the first day, Greta Thunberg, a climate activist with Asperger's, protested outside of Swedish Parliament alone. Now, she's leading 1.5 million students globally.

Malala Yousafzai

By: Anne Flythe
Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani activist for girls' education and the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Marcus Rashford MBE - Football Hero and Hunger Campaigner

By: Abigail Richardson
Marcus Rashford is an England Premiere League footballer who rose to fame playing for Manchester United and England and more recently for his work with FareShare[i] to help tackle childhood hunger in the UK.

Global Youth Climate Movement

By: Slater Jewell-Kemker
Slater Jewell-Kemker interviews inspiring young activists from the Global Youth Climate Movement and US Youth for Sustainable Development.

Dorcas Lukwesa’s Mobile, Sustainable Farms

By: Abigail Richardson

Art

Malala by Sophie Schaefer, Boys & Girls Club, LB

By: Sophia Schaefer
Malala, Advocate for Global Girls Education

Emma Gonzalez by Madeline Chu. Boys&Girls Club, LB

By: Madeline Chu
Emma Gonzalez- Spokesperson for March For Our Lives

Greta Thunberg Collage

By: Amaya Holland
Greta Thunberg is a Swedish environmental activist who is internationally known for challenging world leaders to take immediate action for climate change mitigation.

NATURAL HERO - GRETA THUNBERG

By: CHAN PO CHI, ANGELO
Greta Thunberg is a Swedish environmental activist known for challenging world leaders to take immediate action against climate change.

Related Pages

Children's Rights

By: Laura Nietzer
The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that everyone has the right to education,no one shall be held in slavery or servitude, and thateveryone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and his family, including food, clothing, and housing. These rights also belong to children.

UN Sustainable Development Goals Teacher Resources

By: Laura Nietzer
Share the importance of the UN Sustainability Goals with your students. Bring classrooms to life with MY HERO's Multimedia Resources.
Mother and Daughter Teams

Call to Action

Children's Rights
Check out the following ways to get involved!

External Links

Our Curators

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editors Deborah Neff and Abi Richardson.

Organizer created on 8/9/2018 1:06:40 PM by Staff

Last edited 8/6/2022 2:07:50 PM by Deborah