Women Transforming Media

JESSICA MAYBERRY OF VIDEO VOLUNTEERS NAMED 2019 EVA HALLER WTM AWARD WINNER

by MY HERO Media from LAGUNA BEACH, CA

CONTACT: WENDY MILETTE                                                                            FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MY HERO International Film Festival Director
[email protected]
949-376-5964

JESSICA MAYBERRY NAMED 2019 EVA HALLER WTM AWARD WINNER

JANUARY 15, 2020 — LAGUNA BEACH, CA – The MY HERO Project is proud to announce that Jessica Mayberry, founder of human rights media organization Video Volunteers, is the winner of the 2019 Eva Haller Women Transforming Media Award, an annual prize that recognizes outstanding women change makers through film.

138001Jessica MayberryMY HERO

As one of the world’s largest alternative media platforms, Video Volunteers has given a voice to people in India’s most marginalized communities. Through their cameras, local community journalists offer a peek into the worlds of India’s most marginalized people. By sharing stories, problems and solutions, Video Volunteers storytellers help increase cultural awareness and spark positive change as they continue to hold the government accountable for its actions. Since 2003, Video Volunteers has a successful example that could help shape the future of media. 

"The name of the award so aptly describes Jessica. How she has changed media in India and affected the life of other women," says Eva Haller, sponsor of the award. "The most important aspect of their work is to create awareness on two levels. The people of whom these films are made become aware of another — the information flow of the villagers, mobilizing the villagers for action. The power and the information and the knowledge, gives power to the community. Also, these are paid people, who are employed by Video Volunteers. They become professionals. Some of these videos get into the big cities, like Kolkota or Mumbai, and people get a glimpse of how the majority of Indian people live.”

The Women Transforming Media Award was established in 2016. Eva Haller, energetic activist, philanthropist, Holocaust survivor and beloved mentor to generations of women was the first recipient. Since then, Haller has sponsored a $2,500 cash award for outstanding work using media to feature women’s issues and women creating change.

Learn more about the Eva Haller Women Transforming Media Award

Watch a short film by Marc Ostrick about Jessica Mayberry and Video Volunteers

Watch a short film about Eva Haller by Jeanne Meyers