Malala Yousafzai

MY HERO celebrates the courage and strong principles of the young student from Pakistan who taught the world how to take a stand against injustice. Malala was born July 12, 1997, and Malala Day is celebrated on November 10.

Credit: DFID - UK Department for International Development - Malala Yousafzai: Education for girls, CC BY 2

Student Stories Celebrating Malala

Malala Yousafzai

By: Trinity Kwon

from California, United States

Malala Yousafzai

By: Harper

from Kosovo

Malala Yousafzai

By: Ruca Pittman

from Alberta, Canada

Malala Yousafzai

By: Marta

from Croatia

Student and professional artists are inspired by the young activist Malala Yousafzai

Malala by Marilyn Huerta

By: Marilyn Huerta

An artist activist from San Diego, California, honors Malala in this tender portrait.

Malala Yousafzai by Avery from Cochrane

By: Avery

Malala has really impressed this student, with her bravery and unselfish nature. She acts courageously to help other young women.

Malala by Nina Cooper

By: Nina Falaise Cooper

International artists like Nina Cooper celebrate Malala's courage, fierce bravery and determination, in unique representations.

Malala by Sophie Schaefer, Boys & Girls Club, LB

By: Sophia Schaefer

Malala, Advocate for Global Girls Education, is painted simply and directly by a young girl from Laguna Beach, California.

Film

Faith Middleton - Connecticut Women's Hall of Fame

Produced by:Connecticut Women's Hall of Fame

Faith Middleton accepts her 2012 induction, using the story of Malala Yousufzai to underscore the importance of inspiring and encouraging women and girls to use their voices to affect change.

Malala Yousafzai - 2012

Producer: MY HERO & The Pihcintu Multicultural Chorus
Malala's Song performed by the Pihcintu Multicultural Chorus.

Audio

He Named Me Malala - Official Trailer

Produced by:Laurie MacDonald

"He Named Me Malala" is a documentary about Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Malala Yousafzai.

"Malala"
By: Adrienne Albert composer

This song was commissioned by the Cornell University Chorus, Robert Isaacs, conductor, Adrienne Albert, composer. 

Young Hero: Malala
By: Jane Wallace

"She is our candle they tried to snuff out.." --Anonymous Pakistani

Narrated by Susan Drennan Gabriel Bunn.

He Named Me Malala - Lesson Plans from Journeys in Film

Lessons included in this guide are meant to be used both before and after showing the film, to give students context, to interpret the film, and to examine the issues that Malala Yousafzai cares so passionately about.

He Named Me Malala - Film Curriculum
Credit: journeysinfilm.org

This discussion guide gives you the opportunity to continue Malala's work: to learn about the status of girls' education in the world today, to discuss what you have read about girls' education, to explore resources to learn more, and to seek ways to make a change in your own community and in the wider world.

He Named Me Malala - Film Discussion Guide
Credit: journeysinfilm.org

Journeys in Film harnesses the storytelling power of film to educate the most visually literate generation in history.

Journeys In Film
Credit: journeysinfilm.org

Links

I Am Malala: by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb
Credit: *mh*https://www.amazon.com/Malala-Yousafzai/e/B00EZMLL5W/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

Organizer created on 10/2/2013 12:45:06 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 7/1/2019 3:46:11 PM by Xenia Shin