Matumbawe: A Story of Hope and Resilience

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

The film Matumbawe is brought together by a talented crew with Anthony Ochieng as the director, Edwin Machuka and Brian Etole as cinematographers and editor, Kamau Samuel.

169638Reef RangerAnthony Ochieng

Matumbawe tells the story of REEF Rangers restoring coral reefs in the Wasini Channel, Diani. The film centers on Khadija, then, a 15-year-old girl from Mkwiro Village on Wasini Island. She is the eldest of five children and has learned about coral reefs, known locally as Matumbawe, from her father, Dosa Mshega, a dedicated REEF Ranger. Khadija sees the ocean as more than just a place to relax; it’s a source of life, providing water, food, and income for her family through fishing and tourism.

But over time, illegal fishing, uncontrolled tourism, and plastic pollution have damaged the reefs, reducing fish populations and threatening livelihoods. Dosa is working to reverse this damage by transplanting coral to create new habitats for fish. Khadija, despite her initial fear of diving, is determined to follow in her father’s footsteps and become a REEF Ranger herself. Her courage symbolizes the resilience and hope needed in conservation.

Victoria Wanjohi, Director and Impact Communication Lead of the TonyWild Foundation explains: "Coral reefs are an integral part of the ecosystem because they provide shelter and food for many species of fish and other aquatic life. They also provide a natural barrier against storms and other natural disasters, protecting coastal communities from flooding and erosion. Involving local communities in marine conservation is essential to the long-term health of our oceans. Community engagement is a key factor in ensuring the sustainability of marine ecosystems to protect marine life. Through community-led initiatives such as the REEF Ranger program, which is an opportunity for community members to become marine conservationists, they become more aware of the threats facing their local marine environment and are better equipped to take action to protect it."

Matumbawe is produced by the TonyWild Foundation in partnership with the REEFolution Foundation and embodies both organizations' values in collaboration. REEFolution, based in Diani, Kenya, focuses on coral reef restoration, while the TonyWild Foundation founded in 2017, a youth-led initiative, uses storytelling to inspire the next generation of conservationists.

Said Wanjohi, "We train young leaders through photography, film, and science, equipping them with the skills to turn their passion for nature into meaningful action. One of our other successful award-winning films is The Forest Guardian - a story of  SSezi whose heart, mind, and soul is the Forest. He has managed a forest that has so far been a refuge for sixty Chimpanzees and is an important wildlife corridor between Budongo and Bungoma Forest."

169638Anthony Ochieng, Founder and Director at TonyWild Foundation
The Making of Matumbawe

The TonyWild Foundation, led by founder Anthony Ochieng, has a strong interest in marine conservation, which drove the creation of Matumbawe. The film shines a light on the vital role coral reefs play in the ecosystem. Coral reefs are more than just beautiful underwater landscapes; they provide shelter and food for countless marine species and act as natural barriers against storms, protecting coastal communities from flooding and erosion.

Recognition and Future Goals

Matumbawe has been selected as a finalist at the 20th MY HERO Film Festival. Said Wanjohi:  "The selection of Matumbawe as a finalist for the Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award at the 20th MY HERO Film Festival 2024, highlights the passion and dedication of the people working tirelessly to protect our planet."

Said Wanjohi, "Matumbawe is more than a documentary about coral reefs; it’s a powerful reminder of the importance of involving local communities in conservation efforts. By focusing on local heroes like Khadija and her father, the film shows that real change starts with individuals who care deeply about their environment. It aims to inspire viewers to act in their communities to protect the natural world."

Said Wanjohi, "Being selected as a finalist at the 20th MY HERO International Film Festival is a significant achievement for the TonyWild Foundation. It acknowledges our dedication to conservation and the power of storytelling to bring attention to critical environmental issues. Our goal as an organization is that Matumbawe fulfills its purpose as a story of hope and resilience. As Khadija, her father, and the local community learn more about the ocean, which is their home, may they remind us all that the future of our planet depends on the choices we make today."

Watch the film here: myhero.com/matumbawe