My Hero Natalie Portman

by Phoebe Lee from Taipei in Taiwan

"If your reasons are your own, your path, even if it is a strange and clumsy path, will be wholly yours." -Natalie Portman

Some children stars became famous at a young age, and then got lost because of drugs or high reputation. In the end, their careers are ruined. In contrast, although Natalie Portman was only 13 years old when she first played a lead role, in the hit movie Léon, as a celebrity, she leads a quite simple life. She didn’t lose her normal life because of her acting career, and that is why she is my hero. In 2015, she gave a speech on her experience at the commencement at Harvard University, which she graduated from, and it inspired me about many things regarding one's attitude toward life.

First, she said sometimes your insecurities and your inexperience may lead you to cater to others’ expectation. But you are still young, you still have the chance to make mistakes, and to get lost. Therefore, you can have the courage to take on challenges through that insecure feeling and make your own original and particular way, one that you can choose and define all by yourself. That is true, as students, we may go through this stage. We always care too much about others. Hence, we start to lose ourselves, and imitate someone to make others satisfied. But our value is based on what we truly are, our characteristics, our personality. That is, everyone is unique. Second, she talked about doing the thing you love and getting it done. Natalie Portman learned that it is important to do one thing well, not focusing on the quantity, but enjoying the joy of pursuing perfection. She acted in movies not for fame and money; instead, she said she loved to be an actress, and she wanted to tell stories, to imagine the lives of others, and she thought being an actress is the reason for her existence.

To sum up, I’ve learned just to be myself and not care about what others think. This is what Natalie Portman has taught me and why she is my hero.

134204Natalie Portmanhttps://www.agencesartistiques.com/Fiche-Artiste/475475-natalie-portman.html

EZ TALK, editorial department. Natalie Portman Harvard Commencement Speech- Too, Battled Self-Doubt. [Online] Available https://tw.englisher.info/2015/11/20/natalie-portman-harvard-commencement-speech/.2015.