Press_Release

2022 Best of Fest Winner is ‘Andy’

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

CONTACT:                                                                                                 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wendy Milette
Director MY HERO International Film Festival
[email protected]

150184Best of Fest - 'Andy'MY HERO

MY HERO was delighted to present the Best of Fest Award to Jamy Wheless for his animated film ‘Andy’ at the 18th Annual MY HERO International Film Festival on November 19th, 2022. Directed by Jamy Wheless and produced by Jean Schultz, ‘Andy’ is an uplifting story about how one puppy overcomes a series of obstacles to find his purpose in life.  Andy’s dream to become a service dog, his bravery, and his perseverance create a deeply moving, heartfelt story compassionately portrayed by Wheless. The character, Olivia, is based on an inspirational young woman who has been in a wheelchair all her life and has had the benefit of three service dogs. Both Jamy and Olivia, with her current service dog, Ray, attended the festival.

Said Wheless: “I would like to thank the MY HERO Project for selecting us. Jean Schultz, who sends her regards, motivated me to make this film. She had a vision that she wanted to promote Canine Companions, of which I had never heard, so I started my research, and the organization melted my heart. Olivia, who inspired the child character, is here with us today. She has had three service dogs and her attitude, perseverance, and perspective on the world really inspired me.”

Wheless is a Co-Founder of Lightstream Animation Studios. The company specializes in developing and producing high-quality animated feature films, commercials, episodic, and immersive VR stories.

The film began with an idea from Schulz, whose late husband Charles Schulz had created the Peanuts character Snoopy. Schulz is a national board member of Canine Companions. Canine Companions is an organization that trains service dogs to become assistants to people with an array of disabilities.

Said Wheless: “I am thrilled to release ‘Andy,’ a story of a puppy whose journey resonates universally. Our furry hero’s bravery exemplifies a deep truth that applies to every human story. Andy faces his biggest fear and ultimately finds his purpose in life—to help others as a Canine Companions service dog."

150185Jamy and OliviaMY HERO Awards Ceremony

Said Olivia: “Thank you so much; it really means a lot to me. I was so honored to talk to you, Jamy, and then to find out that you named the character Olivia was really so special…I hope more kids who are disabled can feel this too.”

“It’s a blessing to know you, Olivia,” replied Wheless. “A hero has to preserve and overcome obstacles to find their purpose in life as you do. Andy, the puppy, also had to overcome his obstacles in order to meet his Olivia, his best friend.”

Watch Jamy and Olivia accepting the award at the MY HERO International Film Festival here: Andy excerpt | MY HERO

Watch the film here: /andy (Enter the password: andy).

About MY HERO International Film Festival

The MY HERO International Film Festival brings together professional and youth filmmakers who honour local and global heroes working for positive change in the world.  Thanks to generous sponsors, prizes are awarded to elementary, middle school, high school, college and professionals in a variety of categories including documentary, narrative, music video, animation, experimental, and more.

To find out more about the Film Festival go to: /Films/festival

To discover previous Global Educator award winners got to: /global-educator-award-winners

Join us for the Family-Friendly Awards Celebration on December 10, 2022, at 10 am (PST). Festival winners and their heroes will be on hand to answer questions and share their stories. Short clips from select films will be screened. Categories include narrative, documentary, music videos, animation, experimental, trailers, spoken word and PSAs. Awards are given to winners at Elementary, Middle School, High School, College and Professional levels. Register HERE.

To view the 2022 MY HERO International Film Festival Program:

Click here

View all winning films online:

Winners