National Dyslexia Awareness Month | October

Learn about dyslexia during National Dyslexia Awareness month with our multimedia showcase of heroes. Many successful people attribute their success to having dyslexia -- difficulty learning to read or interpret words, letters, and other symbols.

Credit: Matt Brown [@londonmatt)] via Flickr (CC by 2.0)

James Redford and Karen Pritzker collaborate on this HBO documentary film that gives hope to millions of families around the world who have struggled to educate their dyslexic children

My Hero suggested viewing

The Big Picture: Rethinking Dyslexia (2012).

Dyslexia Organizations

The Yale Center for Dyslexia and Creativity
Credit: http://dyslexia.yale.edu/parents.html

The MY HERO Project offers a free library of Listen & Read Along stories which are read out loud by people. This is a great resource for ESL students, early readers, and learners with reading-based challenges like dyslexia.

Just click on the "Read this story aloud for me" icon at the top of the page.

MY HERO Listen and Read Along Stories
Credit: https://myhero.com/audio-stories-2

Stories of Heroes with Dyslexia

Avi Wortis

By: Hunter from DuBois

It's important for me to impress upon them that I'm an ordinary person

Agatha Christie

By: Michael from Pennsylvania

Agatha Christie reinvented the mystery novel and is believed to have been dyslexic.

Erin Brockovich

By: Joy Wolf

Erin Brockovich is a whistleblower, determined to give those without a voice a fighting chance.

These Stories Are Available in Audio, so Students Can Listen & Read Along

Magic Johnson

By: Laura Tucker for MY HERO
Magic Johnson inspires others with his basketball talents and philanthropic work.

Steven Spielberg

By: Sophie from San Diego

Steven Spielberg is an award winning filmmaker who pushed the limits of his art. 

Middle School Stories

Alexander Graham Bell

By: Beka from Glenbrook Middle School
Alexander Graham Bell was the inventor of the telephone.

Rudy Ruettiger

By: Brennan from Cincinnati

Against unbelievable odds, Rudy Ruettiger made his dream come true.

Art

William Butler Yeats (1865 - 1939)

By: John Singer Sargent

William Butler Yeats, an Irish poet and playwright, was one of the most influential figures in 20th century literature.

"Dyslexia is seen as a hidden disability; but it is also a hidden source of great abilities."

- Yale Center for Dyslexia & Creativity

Everyday heroes with dyslexia - More stories from our guests

Mary Spaulding

By: Amy from Henderson
Mary Spaulding inspires her fellow college friend with her determination.

Susan Butcher

By: Anna from Grand Rapids
Susan Butcher was a champion Iditarod racer.

Drew King

By: Leah from Milwaukee

Instead of making excuses, he worked hard and helped others who had learning problems as well.

Hero Teachers of a Dyslexic

By: Charles F. Harper
Hero Teachers of a Dyslexic is a personal story that seeks to guide and encourage students who learn differently.

These Everyday Stories Are Available in Audio, so Students Can Listen & Read Along

The Paco Project

By: Sue Glader

Skye Malik founded the Paco Project to give back. She raised $25,000 for New York students to gain access to Learning Ally, which empowers those with dyslexia. 

Paco, My Dyslexic Hero

By: Skye Malik
Paco, My Dyslexic Hero Grandpa Paco shows Skye that she can succeed at anything.

Jennifer Smith

By: Sue Glader

Jennifer Smith wrote a book at the age of 12 about dyslexia from a child's point of view. She is a mentor and advocate for understanding those who have dyslexia.

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 10/11/2013 2:31:26 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 10/30/2019 2:01:25 PM by Anthony Pouw