World Humanitarian Day | August 19

Take part in World Humanitarian Day August 19 with MY HERO's multimedia showcase honoring humanitarian workers endangering themselves to serve those in need.

Credit: UN Photo © Nazeer Al-Khatib/Stringer

Teachers: Share the importance of World Humanitarian Day with your students. Use the World Humanitarian Day Multimedia Lesson Plan in the classroom. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Film

Get inspired by the following films about brave humanitarians providing shelter and aid to those affected by war in South Sudan and Somalia or bringing medical assistance to those in need. 

Vital Voices: Hawa Abdi

Producer: Aaron Kisner
Dr. Hawa Abdi is Somalia's first female gynecologist. When the central government collapsed in 1989, Dr. Abdi's one-room clinic on her family farm began treating and housing local people fleeing the fighting.
;

Defying Death in South Sudan

Produced by:Francis Mead

Defying death in South Sudan. Featuring Humanitarian Hero Award Winner Ken Payumo. [Includes some violence and may not be appropriate for younger students.]

;

Bosna Bakery

Producer: Adis Guso
A moving essay about a bakery in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, that gives food to the poor.
;

Artists from Around the World Portray Humanitarian Heroes

Enjoy the following portraits of Humanitarian Heroes.

All Lives Should Have Equal Value

By: Ryan fredrickson

The Gates Foundation has worked tirelessly to provide care and medicine to third world populations in need

;

Sister Soeur Emmanuelle

By: Ben Heine

This nun devoted herself to service and gave aid the poor in Egypt and in Turkey

;

Bono

By: Matt Nesvadba

Bonoi of U2 has helped to raise millions of dollars to benefit victims of humanitarian crises around the globe

;

Desmond Tutu

By: Steph Eberlein, Joe Lindley, Jake Fusilier

Desmond Tutu is celebrated as an advocate of love, respect and inclusion

;

Mother Teresa by Marilyn Huerta

By: Marilyn Huerta

Mother Teresa is celebrated for her faith and her work with India's most vulnerable populations

;

Princess Diana- Marchici Luminita, Jacota Elena from Moldova

By: Marchici Luminita, Jacota Elena

Princess Diana is a real hero for our society. She could see the beauty in commonplace things and also help others

;

Do you have any humanitarian heroes?

Consider submitting your artwork to MY HERO to be considered for our art contest or to be featured on our gallery homepage.

Links

World Humanitarian Day
Credit: UN

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year

Organizer created on 7/28/2012 1:00:45 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 7/19/2019 4:52:45 PM by Xenia Shin