Angels

Scott Askeland

by Angel Askeland - High School - from Fredericksburg, VA

The biggest hero in my life would have to be my dad. He is possibly the most inspirational person I have ever met. He had many heroic qualities like bravery and courage. A hero to me is not only a “superhero” someone everyone looks up to, but someone who I personally look up to in so many ways. 

My dad was very brave in many different ways. He was in the Marines for 31 years before retiring in late August of 2018. He never went on any big tours, however, he was stationed all over the place when my siblings and I were little. He would come home every night with a smile on his face, no matter how hard his workday was. Then on February 8, 2017, we found out he had a brain tumor. I was in 8th grade at the time and I had never seen my dad so defeated. However, he stood strong and fought his fight to the very end, and I hadn’t seen such bravery until then.

When my father was putting up his battle with cancer, he was courageous in many ways. He did a few clinical trials and went through chemo and radiation, which were all very hard on his body and his mentality. His personality changed with all of the medications he was on, and he wasn’t necessarily the same anymore. However, his courage of putting up the fight was well fought until the end.

My dad was always someone I looked up to when I was younger, but now even more so as I’ve gotten older. He has had the biggest impact on my life, and I don’t know how I’ve gotten this far without him. His heroic qualities will always stick with me, forever and always.