Angels

Terry Fox

by Jamie from Sydney

Terry fox is considered a hero by many people. Many people thought of him as the beacon of hope to those affected by cancer. One reason people thought he was a hero was because of his bravery in his fight with cancer. Also because of his persistence while running across Canada with one leg. But perhaps the most important reason people thought he was a hero was because of his unselfishness.

Terry Fox was brave because of what he did under the circumstances given to him. After losing his leg to cancer, Terry Fox wanted to help the fight against it. Three years after he lost he leg, he decided to run across Canada to aid the fight against cancer. This was known as the "Marathon of Hope". Terry made it to Thunder Bay, Ontario in just 143 days after starting in St. John's, Newfoundland. But on September 1st, he was forced to stop the Marathon of Hope because the cancer had spread to his lungs. Terry continued to fight his cancer until he eventually passed away on June 28th, 1981.

The persistence of Terry was a big part of why he was a hero to so many. On his run across Canada, Terry ran every day. Rain or shine, he would be out running. No matter how tired, or sore he was, he would always run his daily 26.2 miles a day. He also never gave up with his battle with cancer.