THANKSGIVING STORIES

by

Kyra Kirkwood
edited from content submitted to MY HERO

"A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all the other virtues." Cicero

Thanksgiving is an ideal time of year to remember and be grateful for all you have in your life. Maybe someone once helped you out. Or perhaps you'd like to honor a good deed someone did for another person. This holiday encourages people to pause, be grateful and spread good deeds. So before the rush of the holiday season begins in full, count your blessings and list the people you're thankful for, just as these people have done:

Handsome Lake. A Seneca chief and prophet known as the Peacemaker brought a message of peace to the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. He helped the Haudenosaunee figure out a way to live with the new Americans, to be thankful and continue the thanksgiving ceremonies. —from the book, "The American National Biography," edited by John Garraty.

137186Handsome LakeInternet Archive Book Images [No restrictions]

Iqbal Masih. Iqbal Masih - the late 12-yr-old carpet weaver from a country on the other side of the world - will be, eternally, my hero. He began to help the anti-slavery movement. At 12, he had helped liberate 3,000 children from bondage. He was subsequently honored by the International Labor Organization in Sweden and by Reebok, which presented him with its prestigious Human Rights Youth in Action Award (for "his courage and ingenuity in righting a centuries-old wrong") in Boston in December of 1994. — Pauline Tibbertsma from Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.

Ellen DeGeneres. Despite her fame and fortune, Ellen still remains down-to-earth. I admire her for advocating for animal rights, being true to herself, and giving back to others. —Caroline Benjamin

137189Tracy JMOC-Floyd ValleyMrs. J. My hero is very smart. She is an English teacher also known as Mrs. J. She is always in a good. It is a good thing that she is always in a happy mood. She is also very competitive. I am also competitive. She is a very good and happy person in general. —Brayan C

Sam M. Sam has showed kindness, honesty, responsibility, generosity, and many more wonderful character traits. He has been a really amazing role model to me and many others. While he might not notice the many things he does great, people that surround him in his life do. He is not flawless however. He makes many mistakes, but when he makes mistakes, he takes the time to fix those mistakes and make it right. Sam is not perfect, but he is a wonderful hero. —Sarah M.

Josh M. My hero is my dad and right now we are all having some tough times. My dad was diagnosed with cancer not to long ago and just had his surgery. He's doing much better but I chose him as my hero because he cares for me like no other! He has helped me, cared for me, been motivation and encouraging to me and others! He is the best dad I could ever ask for! —Ava M.

Jason H. Jason is a hardworking person. He is a dairy farmer that tries to make an honest living. He is a wonderful dad and husband. He teaches his kids many things like to always be honest, have integrity, do the right thing, and work hard. Jason hasn't done anything to change the world but he has done things to change my life. —Madison H.

My mom Jami V, A.K.A. (The Crazy Coupon Lady). My hero is my mom because she is The Crazy Coupon Lady and because she helps random people at Walmart. —Kaylinn VM

Mr. Solomon Antipem. Mr. Solomon Antipem is my father. He was a science teacher for 20 years. He was able to inspire me to pursue science although the only science tool he ever had was bottle to measure rain fall. Today I have created a science educational toolbox that is enabling 11,000 students across the world build their first electrical circuit. —Ofori Charles Antipem from Kumasi, Ashanti Region, Ghana 

Bob Ross. He is a good painter and he is my inspiration. He also motivates me and enlightens my day. —Abigail Taylor from Midlothian, V.A.

My two sons. My eldest son has taught me to persevere in adversity, my youngest son taught me to be patient with everyone. I don't always succeed in my endeavors in persevering and having patience, but I do my best most times. —Martin Morrow from Morphettvale, South Australia, Australia

Caroline Dare. Caroline Dare is my friend and inspiration for writing. She is a YouTuber and singer, with two EPs out. Her EPs are called "Me" and "Take It Or Leave It". She wrote a song called "Waterfall", and that's one of the songs that has saved me. —Yuri Dawn from Tokyo, Japan

Stanley M. Lieber. Mr. Lee has always been my mentor. I grew up in very hard time. From verbal to physical abuse. When I could I always read a comic. Being the first time or 100th time, they still got me through a rough day. I'm hoping that Mr. Lee's idea for teachers and entertainers takes off. That would be great. I hope that this generation of children get to know of Stan Lee's writing and more. To know he is one of the greatest writers there were. —Just a fan from Massena, NY

137187Jethro (Jet) Davidson and his momMike MyersJethro (Jet) Davidson. On the morning of July 30 2019, my close friend came within moments of losing her life. She had a aneurysm and fell to the floor unconscious. Unnoticed for a short time lying on her bathroom floor, her 13 year old son soon suspects there's something wrong. Discovering his mother is in distress he responds. He quickly FLIES into action. Seeing her laying there unresponsive, Jet, without hesitation performs CPR and dials 911. Providing his mother with these much needed life-saving techniques until help arrives, he saves his mom's life. Real Life, Real Time Hero, this appropriately named young man.....Jet. —Mike Myers from Pensacola, Florida

My mom. My mom is a doctor and she is my hero because she takes care of me and she helps the world by helping people with their brains. —Alex Lindhe from Santa Cruz, California

Barack Obama. Barack Obama is my hero. He never forgot his African origins and we are proud of him. He initiated the Young African Leadership Initiative. He constantly promoted Africa and Africans. It was not obvious that a guy like that was going to become the most charismatic president of the most powerful country in the world. —Gallo Diop from Thies, Senegal

The First Thanksgiving - This website contains stories about the holiday's origins.
National Museum of the American Indian - American Indian Perspectives on Thanksgiving

Is there a HERO you would like to THANK for being a mentor, role model and inspiration in your life?

Sign My Hero Guestbook
Tell the world about your heroes