The Color of COVID

Directed by: Gabriel Diamond | Darius Simpson | Produced by: Phil Collis | Production Company: Skoll Foundation | Starring: Darius Simpson | Short | 2021 | USA | 3:00

A visual essay about the disproportionate impacts of COVID-19, set to the words of award-winning spoken word artist Darius Simpson.

More than six months into the COVID-19 crisis, it has become glaringly clear that the impacts of the pandemic are not felt equally by all. We may all be in the same storm, but we’re not in the same boat. Black, Latinx, and Native Americans bear an unequal burden in both the number of cases and the number of deaths compared with whites. Meanwhile, Asians Americans have faced a spike in reactionary xenophobia. These trendlines have worsened as the months drag on—continuing to expose the structural racism and injustices that underpin these disparate health outcomes. How can the U.S. right the ship? What are the near and long term interventions needed to correct these gross inequities? Who are the innovative problem solvers working on the frontlines of this crisis?

This short film written and voiced by Darius Simpson kicked off a conversation where we gathered people from the front lines of health and equity to discuss the underlying causes of the pandemic’s disparate impact on non-White communities as well as the inequitable response by governmental entities, policymakers, philanthropy, and media producers to those outcomes.

Video Credits
Spoken and written by Darius Simpson
Edited by Patrick Barnes
Directed by Gabriel Diamond
Produced by Phil Collis

For More Information

Skoll Foundation