The Future of Business is Responsible

Directed by: Paksy Plackis-Cheng | Produced by: PPC and JRF | 2017 | India

The UN featured the video at the United Nations Global Compact Conference (2017).

Paksy Plackis-Cheng, founder of impactmania, was invited to India to witness the United Nations (UN) Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) in action.

Jaipur Rugs, winner of the German Award Design prize, started with 9 weavers 39 years ago. Today, it works with 40,000 (!) artisans across 600 villages in India — 85% are women.

The Company provides training, work, and growth opportunities to women at home. They can remain in their communities instead of migrating to a city and work in factories.

In the short video, an example is given through an artisan who has been taking advantage of by other rugs companies in the past. She was paid little or not at all for her work. After a lifetime of poverty, she became a weaver with Jaipur Rugs, and today leads 25 women. With the money she makes, she is able to care for her family of 8, even sends her daughters to school.

There are millions of women in the global manufacturing supply chains. How do you impact responsible production and consumption?

<
>

Bill Gates by Emmeline W from Liberty, Missouri
A High school student pays homage to Bill Gates- for his investing in people who cannot help themselves.
Julissa Arce
Julissa Arce is a Mexican immigrant and social justice advocate who cofounded the Ascend Educational Fund.
Melinda Gates
Melinda Gates continues to make empowering women and girls her life's work.
Elon Musk's Companies by Camden from Ladera Ranch
Oprah Winfrey
Oprah Winfrey is a businesswoman whose mission in life is to use her position, power and money to create opportunities for other people.
Steven Paul Jobs
Helped establish and guide Apple and Pixar.
Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
Coco Chanel reinvented women’s fashion industry and changed the way women were expected to act in public.
Elon Musk Will Take Us To Mars
Elon Musk is a successful entrepreneur and engineer who started PayPal, Tesla and SpaceX.
Charles Francis Feeney
Charles Francis Feeney is a generous businessman who founded the Atlantic Philanthropies.
Milton S. Hershey
Milton S. Hershey made a fortune through his love of chocolate.
Jack Odell
Jack Odell was an English engineer who invented the Matchbox car for his daughter.
Sophia Amoruso
Sophia Amoruso encourages young people to find their own path and to excel through passion and hard work.
John Tu
John Tu founder of Kingston Technology is also a musician and a supporter of the Freedom Writers.
Madam C.J. Walker
Madam C.J. Walker used her haircare business success to fight discrimination and open doors for others.
Soichiro Honda
Soichiro Honda was a successful inventor and businessman who built the Honda Motor Company.
Bruno Serato
Bruno Serato is a chef who provides a free spaghetti dinner to 300 needy children at his restaurant every night, 7 nights a week.
Muhammad Yunus
Muhammad Yunus developed micro banking for poor entreprenuers.
George Lucas
George Lucas is a filmmaker, philanthropist and the creator of the Star Wars and Indiana Jones sagas.
Dolores Olmedo Patino
Dolores Olmedo Patino was a beloved Mexican businesswoman, philanthropist, and art collector.
Blake Mycoskie
Blake Mycoskie founded TOMS Shoes to bring shoes to children who don't have them.