The Ocean That We Want To Know

Directed by: Marc Ostrick | Produced by: One World One Ocean / Marc Ostrick | Starring: Animation Lead - Miles O'Grady - Full Lyrics / Credits in Film and YT Link. | 2012 | USA

Explore the amazing places Ferdie and Mitzi visited and critters they saw on their thrilling trip through the world's ocean habitats. Click "Show more" for facts and lyrics!

One World One Ocean's new animated video celebrates the wonders of the ocean with stunning facts about our connection to the planet's lifeline. The video takes Mitzi and Ferdie from their home in Yosemite to places around the world before returning home to tell their friends about the adventure and all they've learned. The accompanying song of ocean celebration is a parody of Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know."

World Oceans Day is being celebrated by millions of people all over the globe! Visit http://oneworldoneocean.org to join our movement to protect the ocean.

----

YOSEMITE
--The water in Yosemite Falls runs all the way to the ocean via rivers.
--Everyone lives in a watershed of some sort, so everyone's actions affect the ocean.

CALIFORNIA KELP FOREST
--Kelp can grow two feet (60 cm) per day under perfect conditions.
--Kelp habitats are the rainforests of the ocean -- they enable tons of species to thrive.
--Algin, a kelp product, is an important ingredient in ice cream, toothpaste and many other items.

HAWAII
--Mauna Kea is 33,476 feet (10,203 m) high -- taller than Everest -- from seafloor to summit.
--Because Hawaii is so isolated, it is home to many species found nowhere else on earth.
--Hawaii lies within a swirling system of currents called the North Pacific Gyre.

MARIANA TRENCH
--Challenger Deep, in the Mariana Trench, is the deepest place on earth, 6.8 miles (10,994m) down.
--Light only reaches through the top 200 meters of water, so most of the ocean is pitch black, but many animals in the deep sea make their own light.
--Humans visited Challenger Deep in 1960. Nobody returned until 52 years later.
--Scientists still don't know what lives there.

GREAT BARRIER REEF
--The Great Barrier Reef is the largest living structure on earth, at 1,615 miles (2,300km) long, and was made by billions of individual corals growing over thousands of years.
--The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park protects an area the size of Germany.

SOUTHERN OCEAN
--The Southern Ocean has stronger winds and larger waves than any other ocean. In the winter months, the waves may average about 6 meters (20 feet) high.
--The Circumpolar Current in the Southern Ocean flows all the way around Antarctica.
--While Antarctica has little life and no land mammals, the Southern Ocean is full of life and hosts more than 20 marine mammals.

SARGASSO SEA
--The Sargasso Sea, in the North Atlantic Ocean, is the only sea with no shores. It is defined by North Atlantic currents instead.
--Floating mats of the seaweed Sargassum provide protection for baby animals like turtles and eels.

ARCTIC OCEAN
--Dissolved salt lowers water's freezing point, so seawater freezes at a colder temperature than freshwater. Other factors also prevent the ocean from freezing over more, especially water movement such as from wind and currents.
--The ice of the Northwest Passage has largely melted in summer, opening a new sea route from the Atlantic to the Pacific, which explorers sought for hundreds of years.
--The Arctic Ocean teems with life, from polar bears, to fish, whales, seals and sea birds.

----

Lyrics:
You and I should take a little trip together
Down the coast where the underwater forest grows
Every river will eventually end up flowing down into the sea
It's our ocean and it's time we get to know it

Shoot on over to the deepest trench
Darkened caverns where only three people've ever been
On to where the largest coral grows
Things about the ocean that we want to know

Head down south where the water is much cooler
Take a walk with a penguin 'cause they can't fly
Travel up to the Sargasso Sea, the ocean's nursery made of gold algae
Baby tunas and turtles growing in the weeds

From Bermuda up to the Arctic Circle
See the polar bears leaping from floe to floe

Through the Northwest Passage tide
We'll let belugas be our guide
Soon we're gonna be back home
With a new appreciation for the ocean that we want to know!

Vibrant murals of coral reefs
Joyful creatures embracing the living sea
Humpback whales hum soothing symphonies
Dreaming of the ocean that we want to know