Activist

T(he)y

Directed by: Caroline Callender & Silver Liftin | Short | 2018 | USA

T(HE)Y was created with the idea of identity in mind. What we’ve each been through and how we are treated by others and society shapes us in very distinct ways. As a result, the world, especially New York, is filled with a diverse range of people with complex and different identities. Each day, different people experience and view the world through entirely different lenses, based on those identities. Often, we forget that this is the case.

Our intent with T(HE)Y was to create a platform for those whose voices aren’t heard and whose stories aren’t often told. In creating T(HE)Y, we interviewed a variety of teenagers asking each of them the same set of questions about their identity and what parts of their lives growing up influenced or shaped it. We were overwhelmed by how candid our interviewees were in front of the camera and were fascinated by the variety of responses we received to the same questions.

T(HE)Y is the final product.

Dakota Nieves and Indiana Baker explore their experiences growing up as transgender high school students in New York City. We wanted their stories to be told through their own voices in the hopes that it would encourage others to look beyond appearances and go beyond their own assumptions.

Director Biography - Caroline Callender, Silver Liftin
Caroline Callender was born and raised in Los Angeles and moved to New York in 2012. She is a junior at the Brearley School in New York. Caroline has a deep interest in storytelling which she has explored through her work as a staff writer for the Brearley school newspaper The Zephyr, her photography and in her filmmaking. She is as the co-founder of the school Filmmaking club.

Silver Liftin lives in Brooklyn and has lived in New York her whole life. She is a senior in high school and will graduate in June of 2018. In addition to her interest in film, Silver is one of the lead editors for her school’s literary magazine and is in a student dance company at Mark Morris. She tries to use her interests as channels for her activism as much as possible. Silver will go to college this year where she hopes to continue learning about what she is passionate about.

<
>

Conserving water
Siberian tiger video
Dogs
protect the gray wolf
animal rights matter
Animal Rights
What do you care about?
RBG [Trailer]
At the age of 84, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has developed a breathtaking legal legacy while becoming an unexpected pop culture icon.
2:53
My Life with Rosie [Trailer]
This documentary is focused on Rosie Parks' 40 years of community service in the city of Detroit.
Playas de Tijuana
An inspiring poem about the border fence that meets the sea, where names become prayers and where “the worst place to be is here and not there.”
T(he)y
Each day, different people experience and view the world through entirely different lenses, based on those identities. Often, we forget that this is the case.
3:46
Still I Rise
A visual and musical interpretation of American poet and civil rights activist Maya Angelou’s electrifying poem "Still I Rise."
3:28
mothers2mothers: Chancy
Mothers2mothers addresses the health needs of under-served communities in Africa by empowering "Mentor Mothers" to work in local communities and provide medical services that are sorely lacking.
4:57
Idle No More
Heather Archibald was a social activist and foster care child who passed away. Her strong words are honored in this film.
5:53
Educate Girls
In India, the majority of girls do not complete their primary education. Educate Girls is working to make education more accessible to girls by partnering with public schools, training local champions for girls’ education, and mobilizing communities to help girls achieve their full potential
4:28
The Last Straw
Nine-year-old Milo Cress is concerned about the millions of straws that pollute waterways, waste fossil-fuel resource and harm ocean creatures. With the help of some friends, he convinces restaurants to “go straw-free”. Milo then takes the fight all the way to Capitol Hill.
He Named Me Malala - Official Trailer
HE NAMED ME MALALA is a portrait of Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Malala Yousafzai.
Soundiata Keita
2:48
Mohamed Sidibay: Teaching Peace
Mohamed Sidibay is a survivor of a horrific civil war in Sierra Leone, where he was forced to fight as a child soldier. Now he advocates for better access to education worldwide.
Filmmaker Lisa Donato Accepts the Eldon Activist Award and Kovic Peace Prize
Kathy Eldon presents director Lisa Donato with the Dan Eldon Activist Award and the Ron Kovic Peace Prize, on behalf of Ron Kovic, for her film Reclaiming Pakistan at the 2017 MY HERO Film Festival.