LESSON RESOURCE

Using MY HERO Free Resources for Language Arts

Curated Free MY HERO Resources and Lesson Ideas to Use for Virtual Education due to School Closing and Homeschooling

High School Resources: Write an Essay About Your Hero

The Five Paragraph Essay Outline provides guidance for teaching and writing high school-level essays about heroes.

Mastering the Five Paragraph Essay With MY HERO
Credit: Photo by LinkedIn Sales Navigator on Unsplash

Sample High School Essays

Robin Williams - Just a Man

By: Jake Conlon
Robin Williams was an actor and comedian, named the funniest person of all time by Business Insider.

George Orwell

By: Sadie Cook
George Orwell was a writer who spoke out against a totalitarian government through dystopian stories.

Emma González

By: Nikki F.
Emma González survived the Parkland high school shooting and successfully fought for improved gun legislation in Florida.

High School and Middle School Resources and Ideas to Enhance Learning

Students Examples of Using Film to Illustrate a Poem

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Produced by:Taft High School

Taft High School student, Matthew Marroquin, takes on the task of illustrating this poem by Robert Frost.

The World Is Too Much With Us

Produced by:Taft High School

Taft High School student, Deana Saito, creates a beautiful visual expression of the poem by William Wordsworth.

Choose an Original Poem or a Poem Written by a Favorite Poet to Illustrate. Below is an example.

Still I Rise

By: Tod Anderson

Middle School Resources: Write an Essay About Your Hero

Students can use the three-paragraph essay to talk about their heroes.

Sharing Your Hero in Three Paragraphs
Credit: Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash

MY HERO essays aren't only about facts; they're also about heart.

Answering the "So What?"
Credit: Photo by Jessica Da Rosa on Unsplash

Using the Writing Process to Publish a 3 Paragraph Essay to Enter in the Coronavirus Community Hero Essay Contest

Produced by:MY HERO

Using the Writing Process to Publish a 5 Paragraph Essay to Enter in the Coronavirus Community Hero Essay Contest

Produced by:MY HERO

Sample Middle School Essays

Louis Zamperini

By: Annika from Eden Prairie
Louis Zamperini was a WW2 prisoner of war survivor who forgave his tormentor and inspires others to forgive.

Sadie Dunn

By: Jemirio from Roxboro

My great-grandma has taught me a lot about willpower. She was born in 1908 and was raised in the years of segregation. 

George Taliaferro

By: Nathaniel from Marietta, Georgia
George Taliaferro was the first African American drafted by a National Football League team.

Middle and Elementary School Students

Writing Activity after Reading a Biography or Autobiography

Students choose a biography or autobiography about someone they consider a hero. Students fill out a web that includes adjectives describing hero characteristics the subject of the book portrays. Students use this web as they write a story about their hero. The following two stories use a web and original illustrations. 

Harriet Tubman

By: Brielle Simon

Terry Fox

By: Emma from Calgary

Elementary School Resources: Write a Story About Your Hero

Students can write a hero essay answering the questions: who, what, when where, why... and how?

Using the Five Ws to Write a Hero Essay
Credit: Photo by Jonny Mansfield on Unsplash

What is a Hero? the MY HERO Teacher Training video

Produced by:MY HERO
Teacher Marci Stein from Canada explores the question "What is a HERO?" with her grade 4 students.

Produced by:MY HERO

How to Use the Writing Process to Publish a Paragraph to Enter in the Coronavirus Community Hero Essay Contest

Produced by:MY HERO

Students submit stories and illustrations to MY HERO for Publication

Early Elementary - have students draw a picture of their hero and then write one or two sentences about the individual and why that person is their hero (working on proper sentence structure and punctuation).

Upper Elementary - have students choose a hero and write 1-3 paragraphs about the individual and why that person is their hero (working on proper paragraph structure with proper punctuation).

Sample Elementary School Essays: Encourage Students to Use Their Own Artwork to Submit with Stories

Mae Jemison

By: Chase, Robert, Logan and Kyleigh from Reeds Spring

Mae Jemison was the first African American woman to travel in space.

Sally Ride

By: Georgia Rowan

Sally Ride was the first woman to travel in space.

My Dad Jinji

By: Edward

Edward's dad Jinji emigrated from Singapore to America, earned a college degree, and started his own business.

Mattie Stepanek

By: Leah

Mattie Stepanek, born with muscular dystrophy, published seven best-selling books before passing away at age 13.

Students can share their Hero Essays through our Create Program

Use the Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Lesson Plan: Use this lesson plan as a way to integrate MY HERO resources with students.

This all-ages, MY HERO lesson plan is useful for helping your students create meaningful hero essays.

Teacher Susan Nobles Shares Her Lesson Plan
Credit: Photo by Nicole Honeywill on Unsplash

For Additional Resources and Lesson Plans, Go to the MY HERO Lesson Plan Center

Lesson Plan Center

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Contests

MY HERO Contests (https://myhero.com/enter-contests)

Organizer created on 3/8/2020 5:22:43 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 4/30/2020 3:02:11 PM by Laura Nietzer