For her contributions to deepening the ecological paradigm, and for linking research to action, Dr. Shiva has received many awards including the following:
1. Order of the Golden Ark, 1993, by his Royal Highness, Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands for her outstanding services to conservation and ecology.
2. Global 500 Roll of Honour, 1993, by UNEP for her outstanding environmental work.
3. Earth Day International Award, 1993, by Earth Day International for her dedicated commitment to the preservation of the planet as demonstrated by her actions, leadership and by setting an example for the rest of the world.
4. Alternative Nobel Prize (Right Livelihood Award), 1993, for her pioneering insights into the social and environmental costs of the dominant development process, and her ability to work with and for local people and communities in the articulation and implementation of alternatives.ï¿½
5. VIDA SANA International Award, 1993, Spain, for her contribution to ecology and food security.
6. "Pride of the Doon" Award from Doon Citizen Council, Dehra Dun, India, 1995, in recognition to her distinguished contribution to the region.
7. The Golden Plant Award (International Award of Ecology), Denmark, 1997, for her remarkable contribution to ecology and environment.
8. Alfonso Comin Award, 1997, Barcelona, Spain, for important contributions both scientifically and personally to the ecologist and feminist movement in India, widening their fields towards a greater perspective where struggles related to gender, ecology, ethnicity, class and human rights meet.
9. Commemorative Medal by Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn of Thailand on the occasion of the Celebration of the 18th World Food Day organized by FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, Bangkok on 16 Oct 98.
10. Medal of the Presidency of the Italian Republic from the International Scientific Committee of the Pio Manzu Centre at Rimini, Italy, during the XXIV Pio Manzu International Conference on "The Horizons of Hermes" on 18 Oct 98.
11. Pellegrino Artusi Award 2000, Italy, for original contribution to reflections on relations between humans and food.
12. HORIZON 3000 Award of Austria on May 10, 2001, in recognition to rendering useful service for defending human rights and preservation of peace and for the vision of a worldwide fair development in the third millennium.
13. Awarded by the ASIA WEEK Magazine as one of the top five most powerful persons in Asia. For services rendered as an ecologist aiming for preserving world ecology, she has been among the 50 most powerful people recognized.
14. John M. Berry Sr. Leadership Award for dedicated vision and commitment to family farm agriculture.
15. Recently awarded the Special International Literary Prize "Ken Saro Wiwa" by Acquiambiente, Italy.
Publications by Dr. Shiva:
I. Dr. Shiva is recognized for her contributions to the fields of women and environment, biodiversity, biotechnology, intellectual property rights and ecological issues related to agriculture. Her books include the following:
1. Water Wars, South End Press, Boston, 2001.
2. Patents, Myths and Reality, Penguin India, 2001.
3. Tomorrow's Biodiversity, Thames and Hudson, London, 2000.
4. Stolen Harvest The HIJACKING of the GLOBAL FOOD SUPPLY, South End Press, 1999.
5. Biopiracy:The Plunder of Nature and Knowledge, South End Press, USA, 1997. (translated into Spanish, Italian and Japanese)
6. Biopolitics (with Ingunn Moser), Zed Books, U.K. 1995.
7. Closer to Home, Earthscan, London, 1994, Women, Ecology and Health: Rebuilding Connections (Editor), Dag Hammarskjold Foundation and Kali for Women (1993).
8. Monocultures of the Mind: Biodiversity, Biotechnology and Agriculture, Third World Network, Penang and Zed Press, U.K., 1993. (translated into Italian and Japanese)
9. Ecofeminism, Kali for Women, New Delhi and Zed Books, U.K., 1993. (translated into Portuguese)
10. Biodiversity: Social and Ecological Perspectives (Editor); Third World Network, Penang, Zed Press, U.K., 1992. (translated into two languages)
11. Ecology and the Politics of Survival: UNU, Tokyo and SAE, New Delhi and London, 1991.
12. The Violence of the Green Revolution; Ecological degradation and political conflict in Punjab; Third World Network, Penang, Zed Press, 1993. (translated into Japanese)
13. Staying Alive: Women, Ecology and Survival in India; Kali for Women, New Delhi, 1988, Zed Press, U.K. (translated into six languages)
In addition, Dr. Shiva is author of over 300 papers in leading scientific and technical journals.