World Environment Day

World Environment Day is the United Nations day for encouraging worldwide awareness and action to protect our environment.

Credit: Torbjorn Sandbakk via Unsplash

According to the UN, World Environment Day is the "people's day" for doing something to take care of the Earth: "That 'something' can be local, national or global. It can be a solo action or involve a crowd. Everyone is free to choose."

In the spirit of "people's day," read the amazing story of Greta Thunberg, a self-described "climate activist with aspergers." At the age of 15, she went on a solo strike outside of Swedish Parliament to get them to put emissions policy in line with the Paris Accord. Eight months later, she was joined by over 1.5 million students globally, and was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Greta Thunberg

By: MY HERO Staff
On the first day, Greta Thunberg, a climate activist with aspbergers, protested outside of Swedish Parliament alone. Now, she's leading 1.5 million students globally.

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for World Environment Day. Includes a class discussion guide and learning outcome.

Read this newswire story on young climate activists(some inspired by Greta Thunberg) to inspire you to think about what you can do to create positive change in your community.

Children demand climate change action through protests and lawsuits

By: Lin Taylor, Thomson Reuters Foundation
Though children are too young to vote, they're finding ways to take action in other ways: In Australia, thousands of students skipped class Nov. 30 to protest the government's climate policies, and in the US and Canada, groups of young people are suing their governments.

The 2019 Theme for World Environment Day is #BeatAirPollution. These films illustrate the importance of fighting for clean air!

The following program of short films was curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette.

I selected the following films because they represent a variety of film styles as well as a range of heroism from professional to student and from youth to seasoned activist. These films inspire all of us to take action to protect our precious air!

Protecting Blue Whales and Blue Skies

Michael Hanrahan
A collaboration of government agencies, non-profits, and private industry come together to solve the problem of commercial ships causing increased air pollution and whale strikes in the Santa Barbara Channel.

My Toxic Reality

Produced by:Tom Dusenbery
Hilton Kelley is tired of seeing his community ravaged by pollution from oil refineries. He and his fellow citizens demand change.

Upstanders: The Kids Who Killed an Incinerator

Produced by:Howard Schultz and Rajiv Chandrasekaran [Starbucks]
The high school students who battled a giant incinerator — and won.

Featured student narrative film 

Car Pollution and the Air You Breath

Lukas Mills

Creating this film for a school project opened my eyes to a lot of the environmental issues our world is facing.

This PSA by Lukas Mills started out as a film project for a high school class.

It ended up winning several film festivals including the CEC Student Film Fest, the Clear the Air Film Fest and the San Francisco Green Film Festival. 

MY HERO hopes this film inspires you to tell the world about your hero or bring attention to those creating positive change. 

Art from the Gallery promotes environmental awareness in a powerful and direct way to illustrate the urgency of our planet's fragile state

Protect the Sacred by Shepard Fairey for Amplifier

By: Shepard Fairey
Artist Shepard Fairey of Obey Art has created many posters for the Amplifier Foundation as well as being instrumental in initiating the Kickstarter campaign to get the Amplifier Foundation off the ground

Preserve the Environment Stamp by Peter Max 1974

By: Peter Max

Max's Cosmic Runner was selected by the USPS to promote conservation

Stop Fracking Stop Drilling

By: Gregg Deal

A direct call for the end to fracking by an Amplifier Foundation artist

Protect Sacred Waters by Ernesto Yerena- Amplifier

By: Ernesto Yerena
This poster for the Amplifier Foundation represents artist Ernesto Yerena's commitment to Native American heritage, issues and sacred lands

Learn about a new hero 365 Days a Year with the MY HERO Calendar

365 Days of Heroes

Links

Organizer created on 4/17/2019 4:32:12 PM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 11/8/2019 11:39:43 AM by Laura Nietzer