World Humanitarian Day | August 19

World Humanitarian Day 2021, will highlight the immediate consequences of the climate emergency for the world's most vulnerable people and ensure that their voices are heard.

World Humanitarian Day

Teachers: Share the importance of World Humanitarian Day with your students. Use the World Humanitarian Day Multimedia Lesson Plan in the classroom. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

The following films, stories and artwork honor young heroes working to overcome the consequences of the climate emergency for the world's most vulnerable people and ensure that their voices are heard.

Slater Kemker Jewell is a young filmmaker and climate activist.  She is the director of Youth Unstoppable, a documentary telling the untold stories of youth on the front lines of climate change refusing to let their futures slip away. (An Inconvenient Youth was retitled Youth Unstoppable.) 

Slater Unstoppable

Produced by:MY HERO
Director Slater Jewell Kemker is a filmmaker and environmental activist whose films document the environmental youth movement.

Slater Jewell-Kemker, Director, An Inconvenient Youth

By: The My Hero Project

Slater Jewell-Kemker is an award-winning student reporter and filmmaker who works for a better environment and for peace. 

Off the Grid: A Climate Solution

Produced by:Slater Jewell-Kemker

Two girls go to Nepal to build a shelter that will collect fresh water and solar energy in hopes of solving community problems. (2:15 minutes run time)

An Inconvenient Youth - Cancun

Produced by:Slater Jewell-Kemker
Youth activists are exasperated by a lack of action from world leaders regarding climate change.

Greta Thunberg is a Swedish environmental activist who is internationally known for challenging world leaders to take immediate action for climate change mitigation.

Greta Thunberg

By: Xenia Shin
Climate Activist and Leader of the Global Youth Climate Movement

Greta Thunberg Collage

By: Amaya Holland

Get inspired by the following story and films about brave humanitarians providing education, shelter and aid to those affected by war and bringing medical assistance to those in need. 

Story

Yasmine Sherif: Global Educator and Champion for Youth

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
Yasmine Sherif, who leads Education Cannot Wait, is an activist working for the rights of all children and the winner of MY HERO's 2020 Global Educator Award.

Dr. Hawa Abdi

By: Jane Wallace
Dr. Hawa Abdi is a Somali doctor, human rights activist and nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Film

Vital Voices: Hawa Abdi

Produced by:Aaron Kisner
Dr. Hawa Abdi is Somalia's first female gynecologist. When the central government collapsed in 1989, Dr. Abdi's one-room clinic on her family farm began treating and housing local people fleeing the fighting.

Defying Death in South Sudan

Produced by:Francis Mead

Defying death in South Sudan. Featuring Humanitarian Hero Award Winner Ken Payumo. [Includes some violence and may not be appropriate for younger students.]

Jon Rose: Waves for Water

Produced by:Aaron Flynn & HURLEY
Waves for Water's mission is to get access to clean water to those in need around the world, in areas such as Puerto Rico, Haiti, Sierra Leone, Nepal and more.

Bosna Bakery

Producer: Adis Guso

A moving essay about a bakery in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina that gives food to the poor.

Listen & Read Along Stories

Doctors Without Borders

By: Nathaniel from Los Angeles
Doctors Without Borders gives medical care to people in 70 countries worldwide.

Malala Yousafzai

By: Jane Wallace

Malala Yousafzai speaks out for the rights of girls to have an education. This story has both text and audio. 

Links

World Humanitarian Day
Credit: UN
Tell us about your hero
Credit: MH

Our Curators

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Shannon Luders-Manuel. 

Organizer created on 7/28/2012 1:00:45 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 8/6/2021 11:35:28 AM by Laura Nietzer