World Humanitarian Day | August 19

Take part in World Humanitarian Day August 19 with MY HERO's multimedia showcase honoring humanitarian workers endangering themselves to serve those in need.

Credit: UN Photo © Nazeer Al-Khatib/Stringer

Teachers: Share the importance of World Humanitarian Day with your students. Use the World Humanitarian Day Multimedia Lesson Plan in the classroom. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Film

Get inspired by the following films about brave humanitarians providing shelter and aid to those affected by war in South Sudan and Somalia or bringing medical assistance to those in need. 

Vital Voices: Hawa Abdi

Produced by:Aaron Kisner
Dr. Hawa Abdi is Somalia's first female gynecologist. When the central government collapsed in 1989, Dr. Abdi's one-room clinic on her family farm began treating and housing local people fleeing the fighting.

Defying Death in South Sudan

Produced by:Francis Mead

Defying death in South Sudan. Featuring Humanitarian Hero Award Winner Ken Payumo. [Includes some violence and may not be appropriate for younger students.]

Waves for Water hero, Jon Rose, compassionately gets fresh drinking water to desperate people in remote regions of the earth.

Jon Rose: Waves for Water

Produced by:Aaron Flynn & HURLEY
Waves for Water's mission is to get access to clean water to those in need around the world, in areas such as Puerto Rico, Haiti, Sierra Leone, Nepal and more.

Bosna Bakery

Producer: Adis Guso

A moving essay about a bakery in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina that gives food to the poor.

Stories

These heroes from past and present provide medical care at critical times around the world.

Aileen Cole Stewart: Called to Serve

By: MY HERO Staff
Aileen Cole Stewart made history as one of 18 African American nurses to serve in the Army Nurse Corp during WWI.

Dr. Hawa Abdi - The Mother of Hope Village

By: Nicole

Dr. Hawa Abdi, Somalia's first female gynecologist, aided over 90,000 refugees during the Somalian civil war on her family's land. 

Listen & Read Along

Doctors Without Borders

By: Nathaniel from Los Angeles
Doctors Without Borders gives medical care to people in 70 countries worldwide.

Links

World Humanitarian Day
Credit: UN

Our Curators

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Shannon Luders-Manuel. 

Organizer created on 7/28/2012 1:00:45 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 8/6/2020 7:20:31 PM by Shannon Luders-Manuel