World Science Day for Peace and Development | November 10

Learn about the importance of science for peace and development for the benefit of society with MY HERO's multimedia showcase featuring science heroes.

Inside a lab for stem cells in Seoul, Korea.
Credit: UN Photo: Kibae Parkn

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for World Science Day for Peace and Development. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Film

Watch the following films about heroes using science to make the world more sustainable.

A Woman's Place is in the Lab

Produced by:Christine Dennis

A historical look at the long road for women in science. Following the outstanding career of Dr. Gail Brown, Ph.D, renowned scientist.

SLINGSHOT

Producer: Paul Lazarus

Best known for his Segway Personal Transporter, inventor Dean Kamen is taking on great challenges one invention at a time. SlingShot is the story of Kamen, his water purification technology, and his innovative approach to the safe water crisis.

MY HERO Suggested Video

"Unsung heroes of science" (2015) by DMS

These scientists are proving that science can change the world for the better: http://www.sciencecanchangetheworld.org. #brightscience

The Super Supercapacitor

Produced by:David Paul Meyer, Laura Lee / Directed by: Brian Golden Davis
Ric Kaner set out to find a new way to make graphene, the thinnest and strongest material on earth. What he found was a new way to power the world.

The $1 Microscope

Produced by:by: Michael Schwarz
A device made from paper promises to make microscopes as widely available as pencils.

Stories

Deepwater Horizon: What we learned from worst oil spill ever

By: Doug Struck Correspondent

Thousands of experts studied oil spills and the Gulf of Mexico after Deepwater Horizon, the worst oil spill in history.

Dr. France Cordova

By: Barbara Field

Dr. France Cordova is a renowned astrophysicist who has broken gender and cultural barriers. [This story is also available in Spanish.]

Neil deGrasse Tyson

By: Daren from Hawesville
Neil deGrasse Tyson is an astrophysicist, cosmologist and science communicator.

William Kamkwamba

By: Dorothy Lie
William Kamkwamba is a Malawian engineer, TED speaker, and memoirist who built his first windmill from junkyard scraps to help his struggling family farm.

Listen & Read Along

Merieme Chadid

By: Rebecca Miller
Merieme Chadid is an astronomer from Morocco who did research at the South Pole.

William Kamkwamba

By: Wendy Jewell & David Kemker

William Kamkwamba designed and built a windmill, at the age of 14 for his family in Malawi, Africa. [This story is also available in French.]

Science Heroes in Art

These posters from The Amplifier Foundation celebrate climate science heroes who work for environmental justice. Th

Science is Universal

By: Celeste Byers for Amplifier

As part of the Amplifier Foundation's support of the March on Science, Byers designed this poster to remind us of the credibility of scientists and their importance.

James Balog - Climate Hero

By: Mark5 for Amplifier

James Balog is an American photographer whose work explores the relationship between humans and nature in an effort to create greater awareness about the climate crisis.

Defenders of Truth - Deepika Kurup

By: Kate Deciccio

Young inventor, scientist and student Deepika Kurup was awarded $25,000 for her work in developing a new and inexpensive method to clean water using solar power.

Defenders of Truth - Joni Wallis

By: Kate Deciccio

For the March For Science, Amplifier commissioned artist and educator Kate DeCiccio to create artwork about Dr. Joni Wallis, a cognitive neurophysiologist and professor at the University of California Berkeley. In 2016, she came out as a trans woman.

Related Pages

Ron Kovic Peace Prize

The Ron Kovic Peace Prize is annually presented to a short film that addresses the power of non-violent solutions to the world's troubles.

International Day of Peace | September 21

By: Becky Miller
The International Day of Peace is a globally shared day for all humanity to commit to building a Culture of Peace.

Kid Inventors' Day (K.I.D.)

By: Becky Miller
Celebrate the ingenuity and value of young inventors on KID INVENTORS' DAY.

External Links

Our Curators

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Giselle Villatoro. 

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Shannon Luders-Manuel. 

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Organizer created on 11/8/2013 8:24:21 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 9/21/2020 6:22:11 PM by Kitty Richardson