Miep Gies

by Taysia from Glendale

Attempt to depict a situation in which your life was at risk. Would you be tempted to give into the unrealistic government or sticking to what you believe is right? Though the decision may be hard for many, Miep Gies knew in her heart the right thing to do. Gies was born in Austria and baptized as a Catholic. When she was five years old, World War 1 had dangerously broken out. She was dangerously unhealthy and her parents had decided the right thing to do was to give her away. In 1920, she was given a little dose of hope. A Dutch workers' association made an aid program for Austrian working class children. Luckily, Gies was qualified to go to the Netherlands for a few months to recover. Years passed and Otto Frank hired Miep Gies to be his assistant. Otto Frank had a question for Miep. He told her that he and his wife had decided to go into hiding with the children, together with Hermann, Auguste van Pels, and their son Peter, in the rear annex of the office premises on Prinsengracht. Miep is a woman of great character who should be honored as a hero because of the many acts of heroism she has shown to society such as helping others, thinking logically but fairly, and being courageous.

Gies was a selfless person who put other people before herself. Gies wasn't looking for a title or reward when she took the Franks in. “Gies assigned the title of hero to the eight souls who hid in the attic 'they were the brave people,’ she said.” This quote shows that Miep Gies didn’t consider herself a hero, but rather the people she had helped to hide. She gave credit to the Franks when, really, she was the true hero. As a result of all the effort she put into trying to hide the Franks, she doesn't believe she should be considered a hero. Her name has become known, she said, only “because I had an Anne.” This quote shows that Miep Gies holds Anne Frank in a special place in her heart, and thinks of her as a hero instead of herself. She is very modest and humble, saying without Anne Frank, she wouldn’t be well-known; something very deniable after her actions. Miep Gies is a hero because of her modesty and character.

Miep Gies was not only a woman of great character, but she was also very courageous and displayed this in many ways while helping Otto Frank and his family during the Holocaust. Gies felt it was natural to help others, that “it is our human duty.” “When her employer Otto Frank asked her if she was prepared to take her responsibility, she said 'yes' without hesitation.” This shows that Miep Gies was prepared for anything at all times, especially when it involved helping others. “Without hesitation” shows that she was undoubtedly ready and willing to help because she felt it was the right thing to do. She was also thinking ahead of time when she agreed to help the Franks, as portrayed when she had said: “I could foresee many, many sleepless nights and a miserable life if I had refused to help the Franks. Yes, I have wept countless times when I thought of my dear friends. But still, I am happy that these are not tears of remorse for refusing to assist those in trouble.” This quote reveals that after Miep Gies took in the Franks instead of turning them away, she did not regret her actions one bit. She sends out a message to all people: that they should all at least attempt to help others in need rather than regretting not doing anything. All in all, Miep Gies helped people because she felt it was her destiny to do the right thing.

Miep Gies deserves to be honored as a hero for all the inspiration she has given to many members of our society. She enlightens us in the human duty. We need to and have to keep peace amongst us and be selfless enough to help others in need. Not only has she provoked interest to that, she also made it clear that being modest makes anyone the greatest hero. Gies inspires me to be a better person by putting others before myself. Miep Gies is an exceptional person who we were lucky enough to have brought to earth.