Victoria Murphy, Founding Director of the MY HERO Art Gallery
K-4, 5-8, 9-12+
Arts - Visual
Each one of us has a unique notion of what heroism means. MY HERO invites students to explore this topic using an art form of their choice. MY HERO’s Virtual Art Gallery allows students who are visual learners to participate and express themselves through the creation of an original work of art that can be accompanied by a written component and published online. This is an excellent project for team teaching and collaboration between English, history, social studies and art teachers.
Students will visually explore the concept of heroism by viewing relevant artworks from the past and present. Students will create original works of art that celebrate heroic actions, presenting their unique vision of heroism. Students will publish their art online and share their digital images with others around the world on the MY HERO Web site’s global gallery. Students will be encouraged to write a brief explanation of their work to accompany their image on the Web and to include links to relevant sites.
Activities and Procedures:
MY HERO encourages you to consider the following activities/questions:
1. An initial class discussion of heroism and heroes from our own time and from history.
2. A class discussion examining the differences between a hero and a celebrity.
3. The introduction of the old Chinese expression: "A picture is worth a thousand words." Art is a universal language and it is also a succinct way of expressing complex thoughts and ideas. Using symbols and colors to communicate allows for immediate recognition by others. During the process of creating a work of art, students will be able to view each other's original art and recognize their peers' talents and ideas.
4. Visualize an example of heroism in action.
5. Visualize heroism in a unique and personal way. For example, is there a member of your family or community whose life has made a difference to you? Can you honor him or her with a poster?
6. What art medium (drawing, painting, sculpture, collage, photography, digital media, video, animation) allows you to express your vision most clearly?
7. Do you know of an artist whose art is heroic? Write about this artist and illustrate your essay. Still not sure what you want to say? Read what art historians and critics say about the artist you have chosen.
8. Illustrate an existing story from the MyHero.com database and submit that illustration as your original work of art. Be sure to include a link to the Web page you have chosen.
ISTE NETS Standards - Students
Creativity and Innovation: Apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products, or processes.
Creativity and Innovation: Create original works as a means of personal or group expression.
Digital Citizenship: Advocate and practice safe, legal, and responsible use of information and technology.
Digital Citizenship: Exhibit a positive attitude toward using technology that supports collaboration, learning, and productivity.
Digital Citizenship: Demonstrate personal responsibility for lifelong learning.
Common Core English - Writing K-5
Production and distribution of Writing: Use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing and to interact and collaborate with others.
Common Core English - Reading 6-12
Craft and Structure: Assess how point of view or purpose shapes the content and style of a text.
Common Core English - Reading K-5
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas: Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words.
Range of reading and Level of text Complexity: Read and comprehend complex literary and informational texts independently and proficiently.
Common Core English - Language 6-12
Conventions of Standard english: Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
Common Core English - Speaking and Listening 6-12
Comprehension and Collaboration 1. Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively.
Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas 5. Make strategic use of digital media and visual displays of data to express information and enhance understanding of presentations.
Common Core English - Language K-5
Vocabulary Acquisition and Use: 6. Acquire and use accurately a range of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases sufficient for reading, writing, speaking, and listening at the college and career readiness level;