About Women Transforming Media

Directed by: Women Transforming Media | Produced by: Xenia Shin | Starring: Mii Pham | Documentary | 2017 | United States

"There is a powerful force in simply making us visible to each other. And when others lift up their voices, we lift their voices too." - Abigail Disney

Women Transforming Media is as an initiative of The MY HERO Project, a 501(c)3 organization whose mission is to celebrate the best of humanity. This initiative, made possible with the generous support of the American Association of University Women, is dedicated to profiling women who are transforming media, and the world. 

We decided not to wait for someone else to tell the story. By creating in-depth profiles on these transformative women, we do our part to correct the imbalance of serious coverage given to women, provide virtual mentors to women everyone, and to make those of us working to create a more inclusive society visible to each other.

We've been able to see that issue-oriented organizations turn to media to amplify their message and bring about change, while the mainstream media are adopting concepts popularized a decade ago in development, e.g., women are a good business investment. One of the most exciting developments has been the ACLU’s complaint regarding gender bias in hiring practices at the heart of the world’s cultural content maker, Hollywood.

Partnering with the AAUW

We are proud to be partnering with The American Association of University Women, who have a long and distinguished history of empowering women.

Since 1881, the AAUW has been investing in women as individuals and as a community, through research and education, as well as educational funding, public policy, legal advocacy, leadership development, and global outreach.

The AAUW regularly speaks out on behalf of women and girls at the United Nations and in critical global coalitions. Our research, policy, and nationwide programs encourage members to work from their own communities to ensure that women reach equity in the important fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).

For More Information

Women Transforming Media
<
>

Working women
Polish Grannies vs. the far-right: Europe's unlikely democracy defenders
The Declaration of the Rights of Women
Malala Yousafzai
Dolley Madison
Women march for equality and justice worldwide
Women filled the streets of the world's largest cities Sunday to protest gender violence, inequality and the “virus of the patriarchy” on International Women’s Day.
Lila Hardaway Meade Valentine
Florence Luscomb
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Elizabeth Stanton
ida lupino
Malala
Jameela Jamil
Jameela Jamil
Mama Cax
Wangari Maathai by Guinevere D from Henrietta, NY
Portrait of Kenyan environmental and women's activist Wangari Maathai
International Day of Women and Girls in Science Teacher Lesson Plan
Share the importance of the contributions of women in science with your students. Bring classrooms to life with MY HERO's Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Teachers. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.
African women fight underrepresentation in climate research
Princess Leia Skywalker Organa Solo