About Women Transforming Media

Directed by: Women Transforming Media | Produced by: Xenia Shin | Starring: Mii Pham | Documentary | 2017 | United States

"There is a powerful force in simply making us visible to each other. And when others lift up their voices, we lift their voices too." - Abigail Disney

Women Transforming Media is as an initiative of The MY HERO Project, a 501(c)3 organization whose mission is to celebrate the best of humanity. This initiative, made possible with the generous support of the American Association of University Women, is dedicated to profiling women who are transforming media, and the world. 

We decided not to wait for someone else to tell the story. By creating in-depth profiles on these transformative women, we do our part to correct the imbalance of serious coverage given to women, provide virtual mentors to women everyone, and to make those of us working to create a more inclusive society visible to each other.

We've been able to see that issue-oriented organizations turn to media to amplify their message and bring about change, while the mainstream media are adopting concepts popularized a decade ago in development, e.g., women are a good business investment. One of the most exciting developments has been the ACLU’s complaint regarding gender bias in hiring practices at the heart of the world’s cultural content maker, Hollywood.

Partnering with the AAUW

We are proud to be partnering with The American Association of University Women, who have a long and distinguished history of empowering women.

Since 1881, the AAUW has been investing in women as individuals and as a community, through research and education, as well as educational funding, public policy, legal advocacy, leadership development, and global outreach.

The AAUW regularly speaks out on behalf of women and girls at the United Nations and in critical global coalitions. Our research, policy, and nationwide programs encourage members to work from their own communities to ensure that women reach equity in the important fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).

For More Information

Women Transforming Media
<
>

Points of Progress: Women are entering the Latin American workforce, and more
Coptic in Cairo: Woman challenges Islamic inheritance laws
Melinda Gates — Elevating Humanity Through Its Women
Melinda Gates' women heroes in Africa and India teach her how to uplift the women in their communities through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Black Iris by Georgia o'Keeffe
Georgia O'Keeffe is best known for her Flower paintings in which she uses a very close up point of view that makes the subject into an abstraction.
Shirley Chisholm by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org
"Prejudice and hatred built the nation’s slums, maintains them and profits by them…. we are exposed as hypocrites when we talk about making people free."
Women Heroes Noel Bennett and Tiana Bighorse
Two storytellers, elder Tiana Bighorse and young Noel Bennett published Tiana's family history. Now elderly, Noel is collaborating with Tiana's great grandson.
Kyung Yoon Kang
Kyung Yoon Kang is a reporter who exposes criminal activity against women among male celebrities in Korea.
Priyanka Chopra
Audrey Hepburn by Jenna from British Columbia
The actress portrayed from the movie, Funny Face in a realistic drawing style
Julia Roberts by Sarah from Victoria, Canada
My portrait, in honor of America’s Sweetheart, is the classic red dress that launched her to international fame in ‘Pretty Woman’.Julia Roberts can be looked at as a role model due to her strong character.
Audrey Hepburn Cartoon - Kat R of British Columbia
I chose to do Audrey Hepburn because she helped save many lives and helped feed starving children in the world. She is also still one of the greatest actresses to this day.
Susan B. Anthony
An elementary student talks about her hero, women's suffragist Susan B. Anthony.
Christine ‘Sincy’ Sinclair by Amanda from Canada
Christine Sinclair is my inspiration. She is the best female Canadian soccer player. The drawing shows her love and passion for the game.
Gloria Steinem
The Generous Queen by Nicholas from Burley, Idaho
Nicki Minaj is someone who inspires me and shows me what hard work and dedication can get you.
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Malala Yousafzai
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Ruth Bader Ginsburg is the second of four female U.S. Supreme Court Justices in United States' history.
Michelle Obama
Malala Yousafzai
Many people imagine heroes as persons who are gifted with extraordinary power or intelligence. However, as Gerard Way posits, true heroism is not born--it is made.