Documentary

Afro Mexicans in LA

Directed by: Lena Nozizwe | Documentary | 2017 | USA | 2:11

Black, Mexican and proud. Afro-Mexicans in Los Angeles are navigating their mixed heritage. Director and cinematographer Lena Nozizwe and writer and producer Melissa Aparicio put a spotlight on the often hidden community. 

<
>

6:42
Gray Areas
Two U.S. teens travel to the U.S.-Mexico border to explore the gray areas of governmental policies and human experience in this contested region.
6:45
Unik (Unique)
Sjaki-Tari-Us is a school in Bali, Indonesia that supports mentally disabled children and adults. The foundation offers free education to students in need and also helps teach teachers around students with mental disabilities.
S19 - MFs + HM
Proyecto de tecnología cívica cuyo objetivo central es empoderar a la sociedad, en materia educativa de prevencción y protección civil en caso de desastres naturales.
3:28
mothers2mothers: Chancy
Mothers2mothers addresses the health needs of under-served communities in Africa by empowering "Mentor Mothers" to work in local communities and provide medical services that are sorely lacking.
5:40
Louis’ story: child soldier to role model
This film by the Thomson Reuters Foundation tells the story of Louis Lakor, a former child soldier with the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) rebel group in northern Uganda.
3:22
Dear Me
Students in Wide Angle Youth Media's High School Video Team created personal stories around the collective them "Why Black Lives Matter". This is Sama's story.
5:17
Friendship Park
Three U.S. teens travel to the U.S.-Mexico border and discover Friendship Park, a place where people from both sides can come together once a week.
In the Eyes of the Youth: Memories of Race
"In the Eyes of the Youth: Memories of Race" examines race in our upbringing by asking the question, "what is your first memory of being of your race?" Baltimore Speaks Out youth producers at the Govans Branch of the Enoch Pratt Free Library explore community member's memories alongside their own, portraying the emotional weight of learning racism from a young age.
7:15
Void
In Spring 2017, high school students in Wide Angle Youth Media’s Mentoring Video Project explore Joelle's story of depression and of how the signs are more apparent than you think.
2:00
Save My School
3:01
The belly dancer donning a beard to protest LGBT abuse in Egypt
The 25-year-old, who is completing her masters at Cardiff University in Wales, has helped many asylum seekers access higher education in Britain – something she is passionate about after spending several "heartbreaking" years unable to study.
10:01
Art for Peace
This film by the Thomson Reuters Foundation tells the story of South Sudan's young artists battling for peace with the music, film and poetry.
9:44
Beyond Boko Haram
Psychologist Dr Fatima Akilu, who trained in Britain's National Health Service, works with both victims and members of the Islamist militant group Boko Haram.
13:30
Women At the Wheel: Stories of remarkable women shattering cultural roadblocks and gendered assumptions
Artist Pat Benincasa tells the story of thirteen women who defied spirit-crushing social norms to invent, race and design their way in to automotive history.
5:02
Idle No More
Heather Archibald was a social activist and foster care child who passed away. Her strong words are honoured in this film, demanding a change in the attitude of the Law concerning native people in Canada. Ginger Côté wants her spirit and message to be remembered for generations to come.
5:53
Educate Girls
In India, the majority of girls do not complete their primary education. Educate Girls is working to make education more accessible to girls by partnering with public schools, training local champions for girls’ education, and mobilizing communities to help girls achieve their full potential
4:31
Les Vaillants
For over 100 years, whenever someone dies, Kitcisakik men get together to build a casket as a show of solidarity with the family.
7:46
Look Up
High-stakes arboreal therapy for the nature deficit disorder you probably have.
5:52
My Country is the World
Garry Davis gave up Broadway to become World Citizen #1, standing up for a world in which Humanity is United, a world in which we are one.
4:28
The Last Straw
Nine-year-old Milo Cress is concerned about the millions of straws that pollute waterways, waste fossil-fuel resource and harm ocean creatures. With the help of some friends, he convinces restaurants to “go straw-free”. Milo then takes the fight all the way to Capitol Hill.