Women Transforming Media Films

Alyse Nelson of Vital Voices speaks out on violence against women

Directed by: MY HERO | 2017 | USA

EXCERPT: Alyse Nelson of Vital Voices calls on all of us to change culture to end the global crisis of violence against women at the 13th annual MY HERO International Film Festival. Vital Voices was the recipient of the 2017 Women Transforming Media Award.

Watch the FULL speech here.

For More Information

Watch the WTM interview with Alyse Nelson
Vital Voices Global Partnership - Unleashing the power of women's leadership throughout the world
<
>

16:47
Gloria's Call
In 1971, graduate student Gloria Orenstein received a call from Surrealist artist Leonora Carrington that sparked a lifelong journey into art, ecofeminism and shamanism.
2:54
YOURS IN SISTERHOOD (trailer)
A COLLECTIVE PORTRAIT OF FEMINIST CONVERSATION NOW AND FORTY YEARS AGO
13:30
Women At the Wheel: Stories of remarkable women
Women At the Wheel: Stories of remarkable women shattering cultural roadblocks and gendered assumptions
Women Transforming Media: An Initiative of The MY HERO Project
Women Transforming Media: Alyse Nelson
“Power expands the moment it’s shared. And women often want to do that. When they ‘re invested in, they want to give back, they want to pay it forward. And that’s what we do at Vital Voices. We simply search the world for these leaders with a vision for extraordinary change. And we invest in them to take that vision to scale.”
1:04
WTM: Vincent De Paul on Hero Penny Marshall
Tribute by actor Vincent De Paul ton his hero director Penny Marshall.
Women Transforming Media: Jen Senko
Jennifer Morrison, Actor, Producer, Director
Women Transforming Media talks to actor/producer/director Jennifer Morrison about winning the 2016 Hollyshort Trailblazer award, shorts versus features, her short "Wild Wild Horses" and how films are her friends.
Jane Fleming, President Emeritus Women in Film
Jane Fleming, Women In Film President Emeritus, talks about WIF's Systemic Change Project.
Women Transforming Media: Cari Beauchamp
Cari Beauchamp is an award-winning author, film historian and documentary filmmaker. In her book about the nearly-lost history of the powerful women writers of early Hollywood, Without Lying Down, she resurrects the figure of Frances Marion, who reigned as the highest paid screenwriter or two decades. With the book nearing its 20th anniversary, we talk to Cari about how she rescued Frances Marion "from the footnotes of history."
9:06
Women Transforming Media: Jen Senko
In her second documentary feature, Jen Senko analyzes the rise of right wing media through her relationship with her father, who became "unreachable" after he started to listen to right-wing radio and watch Fox News avidly. Jen shares her experiences making of the film through Kickstarter, where her project got the attention of Emmy Award-nominated actor Matthew Modine, who ended up narrating the film and co-producing it with his production company, Cinco Dedos Peliculas. Jen talks about getting interview subjects to help explain what happened to her father, and how we got to today's pisive media landscape.
Women Transforming Media: Kim Adelman
Women Transforming Media talks to the queen of short filmmaking, Kim Adelman about the newest edition of her book, Making It Big in Shorts. Kim tells us about programming the American Cinematheque's Focus on Female Directors Showcase for over a decade, the Female Filmmaking Collective, and why you should make a short film.
Women Transforming Media: Kayla Briët
Kayla Briët is an emerging filmmaker and composer. Women Transforming Media talks to the National Young Arts Finalist, Sundance Ignite Fellow and TED Fellow about her short, Smoke That Travels, a celebration and reflection on her native American heritage.
Women Transforming Media: Gabrielle Gorman
Emerging filmmaker Gabrielle Gorman's poetic filmmaking confronts issues like identity, racism and self-love. We talk to the 2016 MY HERO International Film Festival Student Honoree, National Young Arts alumna in Cinematic Arts and Presidential Scholar finalist about how she wants to make art for social change.
Pat Prescott, Radio Personality
Women Transforming Media caught up with radio personality Pat Prescott on the red carpet of the Alliance for Women in Media Southern California's 57th Annual Genii Awards. We talked to Pat about her mentors, playwright Vy Higginsen and Talaya Trigueros from Los Angeles radio station 94.7FM The Wave. Pat was presented with the Excellence in Radio Award by Talaya.
About Women Transforming Media
Women Transforming Media is as an initiative of The MY HERO Project, dedicated to profiling women who are transforming media, and the world. This initiative was made possible with the generous support of the American Association of University Women
Women Transforming Media: Melissa Silverstein
As founder and editor-in-chief of Women and Hollywood, Melissa Silverstein is an advocate for gender parity and inclusion in the media. She is also co-founder of the Athena Film Festival, which highlights women's leadership and author of "In her Voice," a collection of interviews with women filmmakers.
Women Transforming Media: Abigail Disney
We talk to documentary filmmaker and philanthropist Abigail Disney about why she became a documentary filmmaker, her award-winning film "Pray the Devil Back to Hell," and her organization Peace is Loud.
6:21
Women Transforming Media - Kathy Eldon
Kathy Eldon is a true believer in using creativity to fight for progress. She founded the Creative Visions Foundation in after her son, Dan Eldon, was killed while working as a photojournalist in Somalia. Kathy has dedicated her life to fostering artists and activists to honor Dan's creative spirit.