May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month is a celebration of Asians and Pacific Islanders in the United States

Film

Keiko Fukazawa

By: Anabelle Vo & Margot Bennett
Keiko Fukazawa uses her art to address an issue that has greatly impacted the quality of life in America: gun violence.

UNLADYLIKE2020: Margaret Chung

Margaret Chung aka "Mike" aka "Mom Chung of the Fair Haired Bastards," was the only woman in her med school class. She advanced women's ability to serve in the armed forces.

Remember Us: An Historic Chapter at Anaheim High School

Produced by:AUHSD STUDENTS: Vanessa Diaz, Kenia Lares, Fryda Luna, Aleshia Osbor...
Remember Us documents the internment of Japanese American students at Anaheim High School forced to relocate to concentration camps.

Kim Phuc - excerpt from The Sunrise Storyteller

Kasha Slavner
Young filmmaker Kasha Slavner interviews Unesco Goodwill Ambassador Phan Thi Kim Phuc, who survived a napalm bomb when she was a 9-year-old during the Vietnam War.

American Revolutionary: The Evolution of Grace Lee Boggs

Produced by:Austin Wilkin/Grace Lee
Grace Lee Boggs is a 95-year-old Chinese American philosopher and activist. She's participated in a century's worth of social justice movements and she has no plans of slowing down.

Fred Korematsu: The Tool of Protest

Produced by:The Institute for Advancing Unity/The Working Group

Fred Korematsu opposed Japanese Internment camps during WWII, suffered through them, and went on to sue against the criminal records given to internment prisoners. He won the Presidential Freedom Award from President Clinton.

Nam June Paik: #1 Video Artist

Producer: Skip Blumberg

This piece is an excerpt from "Nam June Paik: Lessons from the Video Master." Created by his friend and fellow video artist Skip Blumberg.

Motherhood Rooted

Produced by:Momo Chang, R.J. Lozado
Motherhood Rooted examines some of the postpartum practices adopted by Asian American women.

Stories

Carlos Bulosan

By: Skyler Gallarzan
Carlos Bulosan was a Filipino novelist who moved to the United States at a young age.

Maya Lin

By: Grace Turner from Cairo
Maya Lin is the architect of the Vietnam Memorial as well as many works of art.

Helen Zia

By: Hannah from San Diego
Helen Zia is an Asian American journalist, scholar and activist for human rights.

Amy Tan

By: Erin from Spokane
Amy Tan is a novelist and advocate of Lyme disease research.

Eddie Aikau

By: Jon from Pukalani, Hawaii
Eddie Aikau was a Hawaiian surfer and the first-ever lifeguard at Waimea Bay on Oahu. He saved over 500 lives before losing his own during a rescue mission.

Kamala Harris

By: Arya K
Famous for being the first South-Asian and second African American California senator, Kamala Harris is known for being unwavering in the face of opposition.

Why May Was Chosen for Asia Pacific American Heritage Month 

May was chosen to commemorate two events:

(1) May 7, 1843: The immigration of the first Japanese to the United States

(2) May 10, 1869: The completion of the transcontinental railroad, which was built mostly by Chinese immigrants.

Artwork

"Lily Yeh"
Credit: Robert Shetterly
Grace Lee Boggs (June 27, 1915 October 5, 2015) was an American author, social activist, philosopher and feminist
Grace Lee Boggs

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for Asian Pacific American Heritage 

Links

Our Curators

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Abigail Richardson. 

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Organizer created on 4/11/2012 9:32:30 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 4/8/2024 1:59:20 PM by Abigail Richardson