Narrative

Brother's Keeper

Directed by: Anamarija Bencic, Kevin Kaloso Sebolao | Narrative | Tanzania | 06:05

Mabula, the protagonist, is a recent graduate who has applied to multiple jobs but has only received rejections. After months of job searching, he becomes frustrated and stressed. He feels like a failure and fears for his future. As the elder brother, he believes he must be an inspiration to his younger brother, Makame, and alleviate the financial burden on their parents. Staring at the stack of rejection letters, he feels anxious and hopeless about his future and his responsibilities towards his family. Makame, despite being the younger brother, serves as a motivational force within his family. He has a cheerful personality and a positive attitude towards life that brings comfort to those around him. He shares a close bond with Mabula and greatly admires him. He gets deeply concerned when he sees Mabula struggling as he takes his brother’s successes and failures personally. Witnessing Mabula’s struggle and overwhelming stress, Makame feels that it's his duty to lift him out of this state. Understanding that his brother’s well-being is crucial for his own success, Makame reassures Mabula through small actions that he is not alone in his struggles and that this difficult period will pass. By offering both emotional and physical support to Mabula, Makame prevents his brother from giving into darkness and helps him find his way forward. He encourages Mabula to adopt a growth mindset and assures him of their family’s support, regardless of outcomes. Makame’s presence and support enable Mabula to regain his confidence, renew his hope for the future, and muster the strength to keep going.

For More Information

International Youth Media Summit