Dame Jane Goodall: World Expert in Chimpanzees (Early-Reader Edition)

by Naomi Gledhill from Telford in United Kingdom

150923Dame Jane GoodallWikimedia Commons

Dame Jane Goodall was born on the 3rd April, 1934 in London, England. Her father, Mortimer Herbert Morris-Goodall, was a businessman and her mother, Margaret Myfanwe Joseph, was a writer. When she was a little girl, instead of a traditional teddy bear, Jane’s father gave her a toy chimpanzee called Jubilee. After getting Jubilee, Jane loved animals and wanted to spend her life protecting them.

In 1960, Jane Goodall travelled to the Gombe Stream National Park in Tanzania. When she was there, she saw chimpanzees living free in the wild. She noticed that sometimes, the chimpanzees acted just like humans! They could show how they were feeling when they were happy, or sad, or angry. They would give each other kisses and hugs, pat each other on the back. They would sometimes even tickle each other, just like people.

150924A chimpanzee pursing their lips. Valentina Storti via Wikimedia Commons

At the time Jane went on the trip, women and girls were not usually accepted in science. But Jane’s mother went with her and told her that she could be whatever she wanted to be. Now, women and girls are equal to men in the study of primates (monkeys and apes).

Jane loved her time watching the chimpanzees. So, when she went back to England, she decided to go the University of Cambridge and study Natural Sciences (the science of nature). After that, she decided to do a PhD (doctorate degree) in animal behaviour, and she wrote all about the chimpanzees that she saw in Tanzania.

Jane has spent nearly 60 years learning about wild chimpanzees. She created the Jane Goodall Institute to make the treatment and understanding of primates better. The institute also helps to protect the environment. As well as the Jane Goodall Institute, Jane made the Roots and Shoots program, which aims to inspire young people to get jobs that help the environment, animals and humanity. She used to be the president of Advocates for Animals, which is a group that work to look after animals. She often speaks out about climate change too, to try and help people save the planet.

150925Jane Goodall stands with Manfred Baumann, holding a sign from the Jane Goodall Institue.Wikimedia Commons

Jane Goodall is the world’s leading expert in chimpanzees and has spent her life protecting animals and the planet we share with them. She is a hero for animals across the world!

How One Environmentalist Changed Our World: Jane Goodall - Read another My Hero story about Jane Goodall here.
About Jane Goodall - Read more about Jane Goodall here.