Produced by: The Moxie Institute/Dir. Tiffany Shlain
A Case for Dreaming
5:58
Sorry, your browser does not support inline SVG. Sorry, your browser does not support inline SVG.

A Case for Dreaming

Produced by: The Moxie Institute/Dir. Tiffany Shlain | Experimental | 2015 | USA | 5:58

This short 6 min film explores the creative and emotional importance of….letting our brains do nothing. While scientists have long been studying and theorizing about what happens in our brains when we are sleeping, Director Tiffany Shlain connects this to her new fascination with what happens in our brains when we are daydreaming. We all know that feeling -- a deadline is looming and we find a way to do anything but (do the dishes, online shop, go for a run, weed the garden, take a shower), and somewhere in there, something clicks. Things become more clear. New research shows this is because of the Default Mode Network -- an enormous network in our brains that kicks in when we’re zoning out and that allows us to make new connections that can lead to our most creative and insightful thoughts. And with smartphones in our pockets at all times, how many hours of mind wandering are we losing? What are we losing by forgetting to just stare out the window? Wouldn't we all like a scientific excuse to just...do nothing?

This film is part of the Emmy-nominated hit series, 'The Future Starts Here,' where Director Tiffany Shlain takes us on a series of wildly entertaining, daring and inspiring rides exploring what it means to be human in an increasingly connected world. From the latest neuroscience on daydreaming to the evolution of social media to new perspectives on creativity, diplomacy, gender and the future of our species, Shlain uses her signature style of fast-paced images, colorful animations, and daring and funny insights to encourage us all to think about where we're headed.

<
>

The only legally enforceable emotional support animal letter online
Help the Homeless
Exchange Volunteer CorpsAfrica/Senegal Abdel Kader Kadfi
Local Fishing in Sierra Leone
13:46
A Moment of Compassion
On the border of Mexico and the USA, Tijuana Native , Dr. Patricia Gonzalez-Zuniga and her team of American and Mexican interns and residents provide care and compassion for anyone in need with their street clinic THE WOUND CLINIC.
0:30
Under the Husk (Trailer)
“Ohero:kon - Under the Husk” is a 26 min documentary following the journey of two Mohawk girls as they take part in their traditional passage rites to becoming Mohawk Women.
2:52
How an Unexpected Kindness can Change a Life
Professor of Neurosurgery, James Doty, M.D., tells a touching story of how one interaction can alter the course of a person’s life.
1 minute
The Big Picture: Rethinking Dyslexia [Trailer]
The myths, the stigmas, the truths, of dyslexia revealed.
5:55
Lakota Waldorf School | Pine Ridge Indian Reservation | South Dakota
We believe that the future is to be found in the continued teaching of our language and our sacred values. The Lakota Language and values will form the foundation for all classes.
10:38
Freedom Education Project Puget Sound
FEPPS provides a rigorous college program to incarcerated women in Washington and creates pathways to higher education after women are released from prison.
7:50
The Flying Book
Through funding by Luz Verde Projects, the Bibliobus project is able to help children in eleven rural schools in Estelí, Nicaragua develop a love of reading.
10:24
A Shot at Success
Parkfields Primary School in gang-ridden Hanover Park, with committed teachers and effective management is a shining light for the future of the community.
Laughter Yoga | Laughing for Fitness // 60 Second Docs
Jeffrey Briar trains members of the Laughter Yoga Institute, a laughing club in Laguna Beach, California that works on the principle that the body cannot differentiate between “real” and deliberate laughter.
1:37
Laguna Beach Police Anti-Bullying Campaign Featuring Tony Hawk
Laguna Beach PD's Anti-Bullying Campaign featuring Tony Hawk and Captain Jeff Calvert.
4:53
Laguna Beach Community Clinic | Then & Now
Laguna Beach Community Clinic provides excellent medical care regardless of the patient’s ability to pay.
My Pets Are My Heroes
My Hero - Service Dogs
Animal Control Officers
Service Dogs
All About My Mom