Global Media & Information Literacy Week Teacher Lesson Plan

Share the importance of Global Media and Information Literacy Week with your students. Bring classrooms to life with MY HERO's Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Teachers. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

What is Media Literacy?

Media literacy is the ability to access, analyze, evaluate, and create media. 

Through media literacy we:

• Develop critical thinking skills
    • Understand how media messages shape our culture and society
    • Identify target marketing strategies
    • Recognize what the media maker wants us to believe or do
    • Name the techniques of persuasion used
    • Recognize bias, spin, misinformation, and lies
    • Discover the parts of the story that are not being told
    • Evaluate media messages based on our own experiences, skills, beliefs, and values
    • Create and distribute our own media messages
    • Advocate for media justice

[Adapted from http://medialiteracyproject.org/ under Creative Commons License [CC by 3.0 SA]

Media Analysis

Students read the story and watch the following interview with documentary filmmaker Jen Senko which addresses the following aspects of media literacy: understanding how media messages shape our culture and society, recognizing what the media maker wants us to believe or do, naming the techniques of persuasion used, and recognizing bias, spin, misinformation, and lies. Then consider the discussion questions and activities.

Jen Senko

By: Xenia Shin

We talk to director Jen Senko about her documentary "The Brainwashing of My Dad," and how a divisive media is tearing our country apart.

Media Creation

Media creation is another aspect of media literacy.

Students watch the following films and read the stories to learn about the following projects bringing the power of media creation to community activists, and advocating for justice in media. Then consider the discussion questions and activities.

Women Transforming Media: Melissa Silverstein

Produced by:Jeanne Meyers, Xenia Shin

As founder and editor-in-chief of Women and Hollywood, Melissa Silverstein is an advocate for gender parity and inclusion in the media. 

Teen Press - Featuring John Seigel Boettner

Produced by:Produced by: Pamela Tanner-Boll / Directed by: T.C. Johnstone

Teen Press is a short documentary about one semester of the Santa Barbara Middle School Teen Press program.

Esther Wojcicki

By: Wendy Milette and Jeanne Meyers

ChangeChitra - A MY HERO Global Exchange Program in India

By: Marc Ostrick

Discussion Questions and Activities

1. After reading about Jen Senko's documentary or watching the video, students discuss how the news media messages shape our culture and society.  

2. The Teen Press is a journalism program for middle and high school students. Are there any journalism opportunities in your school? Get involved and share the stories of the heroes in your school and community.  

3. ChangeChitra story is about student filmmakers who are creating documentary films regarding issues that are important to them. Students consider creating a short film about an issue they find important and share the film with MY HERO. (use the MY HERO Media Arts Education resources.)

4. Melissa Silverstein talks about the lack of diversity in the field of filmmaking and the need for diverse role models. Where else is there a need for gender parity and diversity? Who is working to improve these areas? Share his or her story with MY HERO.

5. Class Activity: Students analyze the news media available in their communities and discuss the following questions: What do the media makers want people to believe? What techniques of persuasion were used? Did the news media include bias, misinformation or opinion? Were there any parts of the story not being told?

Learning Outcome

Students will develop critical thinking skills as they evaluate news sources. Students will develop communication skills as they share information about issues important to them. 

Laura Nietzer

The Global Media and Information Literacy Week lesson plan was created by MY HERO Teacher and Learning Circle Director Laura Nietzer.

The MY HERO Project's Mediamaker Tools

Related Pages

World Press Freedom Day Lesson Plan

By: MY HERO Staff

Share the importance of an independent press with your students this week. Includes discussion guide and learning outcome.

International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists | November 2

By: MY HERO Staff

This observance is a call for the world to stand together for the safety of journalists and to ensure justice

Links to Media Literacy Organizations

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 10/8/2019 8:36:15 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 12/2/2019 1:51:32 PM by Laura Nietzer