International Day to End Impunity for Crimes Against Journalists | November 2

This observance is a call for the world to stand together for the safety of journalists and to ensure justice.

The 2023 observance seeks to raise awareness of the main challenges faced by journalists and communicators in the exercise of their profession, and to warn of the escalation of violence and repression against them. These include attacks and restrictions on the press in the context of coverage of social protests; the use of judicial mechanisms against journalists for reasons related to their journalistic work on matters of public interest; and the increase of forced exile of journalists in some countries.

This year’s theme also seeks to give visibility to the role of a safe and free press in ensuring the integrity of elections and our democratic systems. It reaffirms the obligation of States to adopt effective measures to protect the  independent  press and strengthen institutional  frameworks that combat violence and impunity, and promote media independence, sustainability and diversity.

Find out more HERE.

Credit: UN Photo / Tobin Jones

According to the UN, since 1993 more than 1,600 journalists have been killed for reporting the news and bringing information to the public. When attacks on journalists remain unpunished, the public's confidence in society can be eroded. Ending impunity for crimes against journalists is one of the most pressing issues to guarantee freedom of expression and access to information for all citizens. In nine out of ten cases the killers go unpunished.

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for International Day to End Impunity for Crimes Against Journalists. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Featured Hero: Daniel Pearl

Intro

In 2002,  Daniel Pearl, an American journalist, made the headlines, not for a news-breaking story, but for his abduction and murder at the hands of terrorists in Karachi, Pakistan. He was a South Asia correspondent for the Wall Street Journal who was researching an article on terrorism when he was kidnapped.

Pearl was not the first, and certainly not the last, foreign reporter to be victimized. Journalists all over the globe are being targeted and terrorized for writing what they believe are the facts and for publishing truthful articles and insightful interviews.

Daniel Pearl was a Wall Street Journal reporter who reported the news with courage, integrity, and intelligence.
Daniel Pearl
Credit: Daniel Pearl Foundation

Films

Watch the following films about journalists sacrificing or risking their lives.

About Dan Eldon

Produced by:Jason Russell
Dan Eldon was a photojournalist who used his creativity to effect positive change for those in need. He was killed while on assignment in Somalia, but his spirit lives on in the Creative Visions Foundation, founded by his mother and sister.

The Journey is the Destination (Trailer)

Produced by:Kathy Eldon +
THE JOURNEY IS THE DESTINATION is based on the remarkable true story of the life of Dan Eldon .

Sarah Elliot - Activist Hero

Produced by:Meyers & Mendoza

Laguna Beach native Sarah Elliot journeys to Africa, working as a photojournalist in remote regions.

Want more? Learn more about how journalists risk their lives to tell their stories.

Read the following stories about journalist heroes.

Nawal El Saadawi

By: Geeta Malik
Nawal El Saadawi continued writing while in prison; her words could not be silenced.

Dan Eldon

By: Wendy Jewell

Dan Eldon gave his life to reveal the famine in Somalia to the world.

James Nachtwey

By: Claudia Hudson
"I have been a witness, and these pictures are my testimony. The events I have recorded should not be forgotten and must not be repeated."

Stories from the Christian Science Monitor

In Russia, protesters risk prison charges to speak out about Ukraine
Credit: SOTA/AP/File
Writing With Fire’: Film captures resolve of female journalists in India
Credit: Courtesy of Music Box Films
Russia’s first homefront casualties: Reporters and the press
Credit: Imago/ZUMA Press/Newscom

Art

Artwork that celebrates journalists who have risked their lives to give us the truth

The Journey is the Destination-Self Portrait in Soweto Cell 5

By: Dan Eldon
Dan Eldon was a photojournalist, artist and activist, killed on assignment in Somalia. His illustrated journals reveal a passion for art and respect for Africa

Natalia Estemirova

By: Denise Beaudet
Part of the Roots to Resistance Global Postcard & Poster Campaign

Links

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Students: Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Our Curators

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editors Deborah Neff and Abigail Richardson. 

Organizer created on 10/3/2018 6:08:00 PM by MY HERO Staff

Last edited 10/25/2023 1:30:30 PM by Abigail Richardson