LESSON PLAN

HEROISM:

WHAT IS A HERO,

WHERE DO WE FIND HEROES?

HOW DO WE CHOOSE HEROES?

WHO IS YOUR HERO?

Exploring the concept of heroism as first steps in identifying personal heroes

How Should We Choose a Hero?

An essay by Charles Harper, modified by Coleen Bondy

"We human beings are entrusted with a very special place in creation. A place that calls us to embrace and live by certain values including kindness, generosity, forgiveness, joy, peace and so on. Heroes help us define, develop and live by those values. Without such examples we can be led to embrace false values and the balance of creation is lost; the teeter totter totters and all can become chaos and disharmony."

Read the full essay

Following the essay, find sample hero stories that exemplify vision, humility, love, perseverance, faith, and hope.

Exploring heros, heroism, and heroic actions

Teachers Allyx Schiavorne and Ann M. Hoffeider wrote a series of Units on Heroism:

EXPLORING HEROES, UNIT 1:What is a Hero?

EXPLORING HEROES, UNIT 2: Who are Heroes?

EXPLORING HEROES, UNIT 3: Heroic Actions

MY HEO Extraordinary People on the Heroes Who Inspire Them

Using the book MY HERO: Extraordinary People on the Heroes who Inspire Them in the Classroom
by Sara Armstrong, Ph.D.

The MY HERO Project has published a book called MY HERO: Extraordinary People on the Heroes Who Inspire Them, in which some 40 men and women whom most of us would consider heroes in some fashion write about their heroes. This lesson plan provides ways to use the book and its stories in the classroom.

To use this lesson plan, we will assume that you have already spent time with your students working on the MY HERO Lesson Plan: Unit 1: What is a hero? It is imperative that you and your students have a discussion about the characteristics of heroes, and how they differ from celebrities, before engaging in this lesson.

Heroic Virtues: Anatomy of Heroic Actions

by Charles Harper

In our examination of heroic virtues we explore the idea that the character of the hero may be as important as the heroic act or mission itself.

Exploring Heroism and Heroic Actions

Who is your hero?  Use MY HERO's Create program to submit your story, film, art or audio. 

How to use MY HERO's Create Program to Publish Stories, Art, Film and Audio for Students

Tutorial for students: Publish written stories, film, original artwork and audio in MY HERO's multimedia library.

Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 7/1/2020 7:19:02 PM by Jerrilyn Jacobs

Last edited 3/7/2022 12:30:05 PM by Laura Nietzer