High Chaparral

Directed by: David Freid | Production Company: Mel FIlms | Documentary | | 9:02

One of the last places you might expect to find an American-style Wild West theme park is in the middle of a Swedish forest, yet High Chaparral and its second life as a refugee camp feels strangely appropriate. With so much immigration in a short amount of time, Sweden has had a lot of logistics to work out — like where to put them all. When asked about his decision to allow his theme park to become a camp while closed for the winter, Emil Erlandsson said that he knew his grandfather would’ve done the same. “He built this place with the philosophy of the American settlers.” While many refugees take shelter in tents and athletic stadiums, this bizarre and unexpected American West setting in the middle of a Swedish forest in the middle of winter has become one of the better refugee camps in Sweden. And for 500 refugees, one of the most unique camps in the world, and a safe place far away from home.

We did a follow-up, if you want to see what happened next: vimeo.com/218421803

For More Information

High Chaparral
<
>

4 min
Bazaruto Ocean Guardians
Meet the Ocean Guardians of Bazaruto Mozambique, who work tirelessly to teach local communities about the importance of conservation.
Ron Kovic Peace Prize
10:04
Eva Haller: A Work in Progress
A life dedicated to philanthropy, activism and mentorship, Eva Haller makes a positive impact around the world.
5:24
The Future of Our Species
This fall marks the release of 'Leonardo's Brain,' the book that Director Tiffany Shlain's father and best-selling author, Leonard Shlain, finished days before he passed away. Tiffany builds off her father's ideas to explore the future of our species.
Facebook Stories - The Conditioned by Wendy Jewell
Really own why you make movies and strive to understand why you're doing it
5 Minutes
Peace Begins
Slater works with other youth activists in a colorful celebration of Peace Day.
Woman Hero: Tiffany Shlain by Wendy Jewell
"We can ignite a lot more change together than we can apart."
Student Films
A selection of short films from the MY HERO Project.
2
George Lucas Global Educator Award
MY HERO Associate Media Director David Kelly presents a MY HERO Global Educator Award to George Lucas.
2011 Festival Schedule
Peter Jackson
Peter Jackson is a filmmaker who directed the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.