International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia

Celebrating gender diversity and inclusivity in sexual preference

Banner

Introduction 

From Fondation emergence:

May 17th is a symbolic date for homosexual people. The World Health Organization (WHO) removed homosexuality from the list of mental disorders on May 17, 1990. In 2003, Fondation Émergence created the first national day against homophobia, which expanded to the international level in 2006. Finally, in 2014, Fondation Émergence added “transphobia” to the name of the day. Every year, the campaigns organized for this day help fight discrimination in our society.

Stefani Joanne Germanotta (Lady Gaga)

By: Chase Cooper

Janet Miller

By: David from The MY HERO Project
Janet Miller is a teacher who stepped up to prevent bullying of LGBT students.

Tim McIlrath

By: Tyler from San Diego
Tim McIlrath composes and performs music that makes raises awareness about bullying.

MY HERO suggests the following interview with Rise Against lead singer Tim McIlrath speaking out against homophobia and LGBT teen suicide.

Frank Mugisha

By: H. Doerflein from Madison
Ugandan LGBT advocate who has won the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award.

Lisa Donato

By: Wendy Jewell
LISA DONATO is a writer, director, activist whose films, including RECLAIMING PAKISTAN, have won many awards & screened at festivals around the world.

Films

The Toothmans

Hansen Bursic
Deb and Jim Toothman and their transgender daughter Cooper Toothman, talk about their struggles with acceptance both within their family and in the community.

From AIDS to Advice: LGBTQ+ Seniors Tell Their Stories

Sophie Kim
Nine LGBTQ+ senior citizens share their experiences, including coming out stories, life during the HIV/AIDS crisis, and advice for LGBTQ+ youth, parents, and allies.

Bench for All

Produced by:The Righteous Conversations Project Students
This PSA addresses discrimination we all face, and the importance of accepting others. Created by students in the Righteous Conversations PSA Workshop, Summer 2015.

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

My Hero Calendar - 365 Days of Heroes revised
Credit: MH

Related Pages

LGBT Pride Month | JUNE

By: Xenia Shin
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month (LGBT Pride Month) honors the 1969 Stonewall riots in Greenwich Village, NY.

October is LGBT History Month

MY HERO honors heroes from all walks of life. We honor diversity and we respect the rights of individuals.The LGBTQ community is the only community worldwide that is not taught its history at home, in public schools or in religious institutions. LGBTQ History Month provides role models, builds community, and makes the civil rights statement of the community's extraordinary national and international contributions.

Additional Links

No Name-Calling Week - January 15 - 19

By: Becky Miller
Established by the Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network. The week celebrates kindness and safe schools free of name-calling, bullying and bias. It was inspired by James Howes novel The Misfits about students who, after experiencing name-calling, run for student council on a No Name-Calling platform.

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Art

Lady Gaga, Singer and Activist by Yvonne LaPointe

By: Yvonne LaPointe
Lady Gaga is not only a wonderful entertainer but she has started the Born This Way Foundation

Harvey Milk by Marilyn Huerta

By: Marilyn Huerta

Harvey Milk was an  American politician and the first openly gay elected official in the history of California who advocated for Gay rights

Inspiration -Throughout my life, my parents have been a continual source of inspiration and support to me by Alex

By: Alex Hunt

Gay Activists, Challenging Society by EB

By: EB
Those who challenge society are truly heroic.

Organizer created on 3/25/2019 3:37:07 PM by MY HERO Staff

Last edited 4/11/2019 3:04:13 PM by victoria murphy