LGBT Pride Month | JUNE

For LGBT Pride Month we shine a light on LGBT heroes who have shaped culture. Historically, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month (LGBT Pride Month) was established to honor the 1969 Stonewall riots in Greenwich Village, NY.

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO LGBT Pride Month curated Lesson Plans. Includes a class discussion guide and learning outcome.

Credit: Levi Saunders [Public Domain] via Unsplash, modified

Get inspired by films, stories and art about LGBTQ+ heroes!

For LGBT Pride Month we shine a light on LGBT heroes who have shaped culture. Don't forget to check out our LGBT History Month page to read about activists who advanced LGBT rights.

Family-Friendly Films

I Have Four Parents

Daniel Roy
This video is a magical rendition of the story of my very unique four-parent family. Everything I talk about in the video is true, and these are the answers to the questions I most commonly get asked.

Love Has No Labels

Produced by:Prod. The Ad Council / Dir. R/GA
The Love Has No Labels campaign challenges us to open our eyes to our bias and prejudice and work to stop it in ourselves, others and institutions.

Austin Police Department & LGPOA: It Gets Better

Produced by:Steven McCormick/Shawn Northcutt
The Lesbian & Gay Peace Officers Association sends a message to LGBTQ youth that it does get better.

For Younger Readers, By Younger Readers

Freddie Mercury

By: Dean Gervais
Tell us about your hero
Credit: MH

These films offer a variety of LGBT voices from young to old.

The Mayor of Castro Street: The Triumphs and Tragedies of Harvey Milk

Angela Kim
As a gay rights pioneer, Harvey Milk made history being the first openly gay elected official in California and one of the first in the country.

Interview with Georgia Bridgers (LGBTQ YouTuber)

Kitty Richardson
An interview with Georgia Bridgers, a YouTuber, on how she uses her channel to promote LGBT acceptance.

The Toothmans

Hansen Bursic
Deb and Jim Toothman and their transgender daughter Cooper Toothman, talk about their struggles with acceptance both within their family and in the community.

Top 10 Important LGBTQ Movements In US History

Produced by:Jaimie Roussos
In honor of Pride month, this film looks at at the most important LGBTQ milestones in US History.

T(he)y

Caroline Callender & Silver Liftin
Each day, different people experience and view the world through entirely different lenses, based on those identities. Often, we forget that this is the case.

From AIDS to Advice: LGBTQ+ Seniors Tell Their Stories

Sophie Kim
Nine LGBTQ+ senior citizens share their experiences, including coming out stories, life during the HIV/AIDS crisis, and advice for LGBTQ+ youth, parents, and allies.

Call to Action

Listening can be a radical act. For LGBT Pride Month, the call to action is to listen and learn from the LGBTQ+ community.

Stories about LGBT Heroes

Lili Elbe

By: Eren Knudsen
Lili Elbe was one of the first transgender women to receive sex reassignment surgery.

Felix Gonzalez-Torres

By: Robin Venter
Felix Gonzalez-Torres was a Cuban American visual artist whose work reflected the LGBT community and the AIDS epidemic.

Sasha Fleischman

By: Brian
Sasha Fleischman is an agender youth in Oakland, California, who was attacked by a stranger on the bus, which sparked a movement of support for Fleischman and others in the local LGBTQ+ community.

Danica Roem

By: Kathryn Atwood
Danica Roem is the first transgender person elected official in the state of Virginia.

Freddie Mercury

By: Camellia from San Diego

Freddie Mercury was the memorable lead singer of the band Queen.

Helen Zia

By: Hannah from San Diego
Helen Zia is an Asian American journalist, scholar and activist for human rights.
MY HERO Contests
Credit: MH

Great for ESL students and the visually impaired!

Click on the Listen and Read Along icon in the following story so you can hear the audio as you read.

Listen and Read Along icon

My Hero Suggested Viewing

Breaking the Code (1996). Run time: 1h30min

The BBC TV movie based on the stage play of Alan Turing's life.

Source: 

Alan Turing

By: Edward Ortiz
Alan Turing was a brilliant British scientist and mathematician who laid the theoretical groundwork for the first computer.

Art Selections that illustrate LGBT heroes and the activism required to change our society for the better

Visibility, voice, and expression are a few ways artists amplify and support the LGBTQ community.

Harry Hay (1912 - 2002) by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org was a prominent American gay rights activist and labor advocate

By: Robert Shetterly

Gay Activists depicted by EB protest to change our world for the better

By: EB

Harvey Milk by Marilyn Huerta from California

By: Marilyn Huerta
Harvey Milk was an American politician and first openly gay elected official in California who advocatedfor gay rights

Inspiration by Alex is dedicated her two courageous moms

By: Alex Hunt

Related Pages - More LGBT Heroes

LGBT Heroes in the Arts Sciences

Part of LGBT History and LGBT Pride Month celebrations

LGBT Heroes in Media & Entertainment

Links

Our Curators

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Giselle Villatoro. 

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Shannon Luders-Manuel. 

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Organizer created on 5/30/2018 1:09:45 PM by MY HERO Staff

Last edited 6/14/2021 1:26:10 PM by Kitty Richardson