LGBT Pride Month | JUNE

For LGBT Pride Month we shine a light on LGBT heroes who have shaped culture. Historically, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month (LGBT Pride Month) was established to honor the 1969 Stonewall riots in Greenwich Village, NY.

Credit: Levi Saunders [Public Domain] via Unsplash, modified

Get inspired by films, stories and art about LGBTQ+ heroes!

For LGBT Pride Month we shine a light on LGBT heroes who have shaped culture. Don't forget to check out our LGBT History Month page to read about activists who advanced LGBT rights.

These films offer a variety of LGBT voices from young to old.

Gloria's Call [Trailer]

Cheri Gaulke
In 1971, graduate student Gloria Orenstein received a call from Surrealist artist Leonora Carrington that sparked a lifelong journey into art, ecofeminism and shamanism.

T(he)y

Caroline Callender & Silver Liftin
Each day, different people experience and view the world through entirely different lenses, based on those identities. Often, we forget that this is the case.

The Toothmans

Hansen Bursic
Deb and Jim Toothman and their transgender daughter Cooper Toothman, talk about their struggles with acceptance both within their family and in the community.

From AIDS to Advice: LGBTQ+ Seniors Tell Their Stories

Sophie Kim
Nine LGBTQ+ senior citizens share their experiences, including coming out stories, life during the HIV/AIDS crisis, and advice for LGBTQ+ youth, parents, and allies.

Stories about LGBT Heroes

Laverne Cox

By: Michelle from San Diego
"Cox doesn't want to be seen as an icon or a hero, she just wants to prove that everyone is human and even if they may be different that just makes them special."

Oscar Wilde

By: MY HERO Staff
Oscar Wilde was a famous 19th century playwright, epigrammatist, poet, dandy and all around wit.

Lady Gaga

By: Hanna from San Diego
Lady Gaga speaks out against bullying and for better understanding of LGBT people.

Freddie Mercury

By: Camellia from San Diego
Freddie Mercury was the memorable lead singer of the band, Queen.

Audio

Science Hero: Alan Turing
By: Edward Ortiz
Turing gave science, and the world, the very groundwork which made the intelligent computer a thing of reality and infinite wonder.

My Hero Suggested Viewing

Breaking the Code (1996). Run time: 1h30min

The BBC TV movie based on the stage play of Alan Turing's life.

Source: 

Art

Selections that illustrate LGBT heroes and the activism required to change our society for the better

Harry Hay (1912 - 2002) by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org was a prominent American gay rights activist and labor advocate

By: Robert Shetterly

Gay Activists depicted by EB protest to change our world for the better

By: EB

Harvey Milk by Marilyn Huerta from California

By: Marilyn Huerta
Harvey Milk was an American politician and first openly gay elected official in California who advocatedfor gay rights

Inspiration by Alex is dedicated her two courageous moms

By: Alex Hunt

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO LGBT Pride Month curated Lesson Plans. Includes a class discussion guide and learning outcome.

Related Pages - More LGBT Heroes

LGBT Heroes in the Arts Sciences

Part of LGBT History and LGBT Pride Month celebrations

LGBT Heroes in Media & Entertainment

Links

Organizer created on 5/30/2018 1:09:45 PM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 6/5/2019 2:53:46 PM by Laura Nietzer