October is LGBTQ History Month

Learn about the importance of LGBT History Month with MY HERO's curated multi-media showcase of LGBT activism.

For LGBTQ+ History Month, we shine a light on LGBTQ+ activist heroes who have advanced LGBTQ+ rights and acceptance.  

For more LGBTQ+ heroes who have shaped culture, check out our page celebrating LGBT Pride Month.

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for LGBT History Month. Includes multimedia content, discussion guide and learning outcomes.

MY HERO 2023 Film Festival Finalists

Just A Friend [Trailer]

By: Courtney Deelen
Sometimes the hardest part of coming out is not knowing how your loved ones will react.

Lovie Dovie

By: Francesca Brescia
Marine life enthusiast Dovie St. James must come to terms with her sexuality when she is unexpectedly charmed by the new girl in her class.

Watch these inspiring short films about LGBTQ+ acceptance.

I Have Four Parents

Daniel Roy
This video is a magical rendition of the story of my very unique four-parent family. Everything I talk about in the video is true, and these are the answers to the questions I most commonly get asked.

The Toothmans

Hansen Bursic
Deb and Jim Toothman and their transgender daughter Cooper Toothman, talk about their struggles with acceptance both within their family and in the community.

The Mayor of Castro Street: The Triumphs and Tragedies of Harvey Milk

Angela Kim
As a gay rights pioneer, Harvey Milk made history being the first openly gay elected official in California and one of the first in the country.

Love Has No Labels

Producer: Prod. The Ad Council / Dir. R/GA
The Love Has No Labels campaign challenges us to open our eyes to our bias and prejudice and work to stop it in ourselves, others and institutions.

Austin Police Department & LGPOA: It Gets Better

Producer: Steven McCormick/Shawn Northcutt
The Lesbian & Gay Peace Officers Association sends a message to LGBTQ youth that it does get better.

Interview with Georgia Bridgers (LGBTQ YouTuber)

Kitty Richardson
An interview with Georgia Bridgers, a YouTuber, on how she uses her channel to promote LGBT acceptance.

TRANSPARENCY: Becoming Oliver

Tessa Grace Morell
Experimental short film made to visually accompany the original poem "Becoming Oliver" written by Oliver Marino.

History of the LGBTQ movement and early activists. 

This film, The Top 10 Important LGBTQ Movements in US History, looks at the most important LGBTQ milestones in US History. These moments include the Stonewall Riots, the first Pride parade, the publishing of The Transsexual Phenomenon,  the passing of the Matthew Shepard Act, and more. Although the introduction of bills and laws is definitely monumental, the filmmakers have chosen to exclude events like the introduction of the Equality Act and instead focus on the legislation once they have been passed.

Top 10 Important LGBTQ Movements In US History

Produced by:Jaimie Roussos
In honor of Pride month, this film looks at at the most important LGBTQ milestones in US History.

About LGBTQ+ History Month

Rodney Wilson, a high school teacher from Missouri, created LGBT History Month in 1994. He chose October because it included National Coming Out Day (October 11) and the anniversary of the first march on Washington by LGBTQ+ people on October 14, 1979.

Art from  the Gallery that represents leaders and the spirit of the original Gay rights movement in the United States

Harry Hay (1912 - 2002) from AmericansWhoTelltheTruth.org Hay has been described as "the father of gay liberation"

By: Robert Shetterly

James Baldwin painted by Robert Shetterly, Author, activist and gay spokesperson for the African-American community

By: Robert Shetterly
Civil Rights activist and writer James Baldwin portrayed as an American Who Tells the Truth by Robert Shetterly

Harvey Milk by Marilyn Huerta, he was first openly gay elected official in California who advocated for Gay rights

By: Marilyn Huerta

Harvey Milk was an American politician and first openly gay elected official in California who advocatedfor gay rights

Gay Activists protesting are honored and loved in this artwork

By: EB

These four stories celebrate heroes who were LGBTQ trailblazers in their respective fields.

Jazz Jennings

By: Sophie White
Jazz Jennings, a transgender woman and a television personality, is the youngest person to have become a transgender figure.

Ellen DeGeneres

By: Lilly Sicat
Ellen DeGeneres is a comedian and talk show host whose character on "Ellen" was the first openly gay lead.

Karl Heinrich Ulrichs

By: Maddy from San Diego
Karl Heinrich Ulrichs was the first known activist for gay rights.

Harvey Milk

By: Tammy Chen from San Diego

Milk was the first openly gay politician and worked to gain equal rights for the LGBT community.

In 1978, Harvey Milk was one of the first gay public officials in San Fransisco. His dream was for a better tomorrow filled with hope for equality and a world without hate. It is recommended students read the essay and research Harvey Milk. Discuss how he was influential as an early LGBT activist. Do you know anyone in your community who is a LGBT activist? Consider sharing that story with MY HERO.

Angela Kim

The Following Film The Mayor of Castro Street: The Triumphs and Tragedies of Harvey Milk Is Recommended for High School Students (10 min. run time) 

Marsha P. Johnson was an American gay liberation activist who was a prominent figure in the Stonewall Uprising of 1969. After learning about Marcha P. Johnson, research the Stonewall Uprising. Who were others involved? Share their story with MY HERO.

Marsha P. Johnson

Marsha P. Johnson

By: Robin Venter
Marsha P. Johnson was an American gay liberation activist/advocate for gay rights. Johnson was one of the prominent figures in the Stonewall uprising of 1969

Selection of Stories

Alan Turing

By: Keegan Goodwin

Danica Roem

By: Kathryn Atwood
Danica Roem is the first transgender elected official in the state of Virginia.

Felix Gonzalez-Torres

By: Robin Venter

Felix Gonzalez-Torres was a Cuban American visual artist whose work reflected the LGBT community and the AIDS epidemic. (Story with Text and Audio)

Frank Mugisha

By: H. Doerflein from Madison
Ugandan LGBT advocate who has won the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award.

Laverne Cox

By: Michelle from San Diego
"Cox doesn't want to be seen as an icon or a hero, she just wants to prove that everyone is human and even if they may be different that just makes them special."

James Baldwin

By: Eric from Elmhurst
James Baldwin was a famed African American novelist and essayist whose writings dealt with homosexual issues before the gay liberation movement.

Ingrid Nilsen

By: Mia Islas

Naya Rivera: Performer, Mother, Daughter, Friend, and Inspiration

By: Cara Jonas Delos Reyes
Naya Rivera was an actress who portrayed Santana Lopez on the TV show Glee and was a pioneer in Afro-Latinx and gay Latinx representation.

Freddie Mercury

By: Camellia from San Diego

Freddie Mercury was the memorable lead singer of the band Queen.

Oscar Wilde

By: MY HERO Staff
Oscar Wilde was a famous 19th century playwright, epigrammatist, poet, dandy and all around wit.

Lady Gaga (aka Stefani Joanne Germanotta)

By: Chase Cooper
Chase from San Diego writes about his hero Lady Gaga because of her humility: "She tells us that we cannot be self-centered in order to be truly successful.

External Links

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 8/24/2013 2:48:08 PM by MY HERO Staff

Last edited 10/2/2023 12:20:29 PM by Abigail Richardson