No Name-Calling Week

No Name-Calling Week celebrates kindness and safe schools free of name-calling, bullying and bias.

Credit: STILL FROM “FINDING YOUR VOICE” (2012) BAYCAT

January 20-24 | Established by the Gay, Lesbian, & Straight Education Network, No Name-Calling Week was inspired by James Howe’s book The Misfits. In the novel, four students experiencing name-calling (for their height, dress, sexual preference and weight), and run for student council on a No Name-Calling platform.

Anti-Bullying Heroes

Emily Lindin

By: Rachel Miller

Emily Lindin a name-calling survivor, the founder of the UnSlut project, and director of the documentary Slut about the dangerous reality of sexual bullying and slut shaming in our schools, communities, media, and culture.

Bill Belsey

By: Jesse from Calgary

Bill Belsey created National Bullying Awareness Week and teaches his students and others how to stand up to bullying.

Janet Miller

By: David from The MY HERO Project
Janet Miller is a teacher who stepped up to prevent bullying of LGBT students.

Melissa Blake

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel

Melissa Blake is a freelance journalist with Freeman Sheldon Syndrome who answered name-calling trolls on her Twitter with body positivity tweet that went viral.

Film

Janet Miller

Produced by:The Working Group
Janet Miller leads her students to stand up for their LGBT peers.

Laguna Beach Police Anti-Bullying Campaign Featuring Tony Hawk

Produced by:LBPD Social Media Team
Laguna Beach PD's Anti-Bullying Campaign featuring Tony Hawk and Captain Jeff Calvert.

Art

Lady Gaga

By: Yvonne LaPointe

Lady Gaga is not only a wonderful entertainer, but she also started the Born This Way Foundation.

Harvey Milk

By: Marilyn Huerta

Marilyn Huerta's portrait of Harvey Milk celebrates his work for gay rights.

Gay Activists

By: EB
Those who challenge society are truly heroic.

Harry Hay (1912 - 2002)

By: Robert Shetterly

Henry "Harry" Hay Jr. was a prominent American gay rights activist, communist, labor advocate, and Native American civil rights campaigner. 

Related Pages

Bullying Awareness Week

By: Becky Miller
Bullying Awareness Week is a national campaign in Canada started by Canadian educator and Bullying.org president, Bill Belsey. Bullying Awareness Week is observed during the third week of November.

World Kindness Day

By: MY HERO Staff
Highlight good deeds in the community, at home, at school and the power of compassion generosity to uplift and inspire..

Links for More Information

GLSEN works to ensure that LGBTQ students are able to learn and grow in a school environment free from bullying and harassment. Together, we can transform our nation’s K-12 schools into the safe and affirming environment all youth deserve. 

GLSEN

The Misfits by James Howe
Credit: Simon & Schuster.

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Our Curators

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Writer Shannon Luders-Manuel.

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Victoria Murphy. 

Organizer created on 11/2/2014 7:03:20 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 1/23/2020 3:41:51 PM by Xenia Shin