World Kindness Day

Highlight good deeds in the community, at home, at school and the power of compassion & generosity to uplift and inspire..

Credit: Public Domain via Pixabay

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for World Kindness Day. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

"The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention."

- Kahlil Gibran

Films 

Watch the following films about kindness.

Appropriate for Middle and High School Students

How an Unexpected Kindness can Change a Life

Produced by: Uplift TV

Professor of Neurosurgery, James Doty, M.D., tells a touching story of how one interaction can alter the course of a person’s life. (2:51 minutes)

Travelers

Produced by:Kenza Kadmiry

Two girls from troubled backgrounds meet on a train and share a heartwarming moment that allows them to briefly forget about their situations. (6:19 minutes)

Emma Cushman: A Light in the Darkness

Produced by:Colin Caviness

Unsung hero Emma Darling Cushman, an American nurse who saved the lives of thousands of Armenian children during the Armenian genocide (10 minutes)

Andy

Jamy Wheless | Executive Producer: Jean Schultz | Lead Animator: Brendan Gottlie...
An uplifting story of how one puppy overcomes a series of obstacles to find his purpose in life.

"A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees."

Amelia Earhart

Stories

'The Invisible' is finalist for MY HERO Film Fest Award

By: Deborah Neff

'Building a Shower Trailer for Chico's Houseless on a Budget... of Love!' Receives MH Humanitarian Award

By: Deborah Neff, MY HERO Staff writer

The following stories are about programs and people who promote the kindness that binds us.

Melissa Blake

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel

Melissa Blake, a freelance journalist with Freeman Sheldon Syndrome, uses kindness and body positivity to fight online bullying.

Anna and Victoria Mendez

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
After the death of Daniel Mendez, his mother, Anna, and his sister, Victoria, created 2 Cool To Be Kind, an anti-bullying nonprofit for teens.

Mamoudou Gassama

By: Gwénaëlle Boutillier
Mamoudou Gassama scaled a building as a bypasser to rescue a baby on a balcony.

Jon Bon Jovi

By: Staff

Jon Bon Jovi runs JBJ Soul Kitchens, where homeless can volunteer for an hour and receive a meal for themselves and their family.

For Younger Readers - by Younger Readers

Hannah Taylor

By: Madison from Canada
Hannah Taylor started the Ladybug Foundation to help the homeless in her community.

The stories below have an audio version so you can listen and read along. Great for ESL students! 

Joneice

By: Kia
Joneice proved how strong a young girl can be to her sister, Kia.

Hannah Taylor

When Hannah was 6 years old, she created the Ladybug Foundation to help end homelessness.

Art

Artworks celebrating kindness can be appreciated by all ages for their directness and simplicity.

Appropriate for all Grade Levels

Family Hero: Joneice by Doug Miller

By: Doug Miller

In this illustration by Doug Miller for the story Joneice by Kia, a sister writes of the care and lifesaving kindness that her sister lovingly provided.

Raking Leaves

By: Doug Miller

Jennifer Porter's kindness to her neighbors is an inspiration to her family.

Who Is Your Neighbor?

By: Charles Harper

Spiritual Lesson: Kindness to all is a universal virtue promoted by all faiths.

The Face of Kindness by Isabel Montes

By: Isabel Montes

This artist's mother is the epitome of kindness and a role model.

"Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver."
- Barbara de Angelis

Story, Film and Art: Students' Projects Celebrating Kindness

Sticky notes promote acts of kindness in schools

SPPRAK, a not-for-profit program in Terre Haute, Indiana, literally 'notes' random acts of kindness by students, teachers, and staff.

Call to Action Kindness Project

Produced by:Gillum's Class

Students in 6th grade shared ways to be kind with 2nd grade children to promote a more positive culture in their school and community in Ontario, California, USA.

Stories courtesy of the Christian Science Monitor

Sponsor Circle opens hearts and homes to Afghan refugees
Credit: CSM
Homeless Colorado / He grew up wanting for nothing. Now he gives other students a leg up.
Credit: Courtesy of Matine Khalighi
How a search for kindness grew into an anthology of poems
Credit: Courtesy of Brad Peacock
What a 7-year-old boy can teach us about generosity
Credit: Courtesy of Amy Perrin

Related Pages

Character | Kindness

By: MY HERO Staff
The MY HERO Character series. Learn more about kindness through heroes.

Character | Compassion

By: MY HERO Staff
COMPASSION is the sympathetic concern for someone else's pain or misfortune, with the desire to help. Learn about compassion through the examples of heroes.

Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

External Links

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Our Curators

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editors Deborah Neff and Abigail Richardson. 

Organizer created on 9/20/2019 5:53:27 PM by MY HERO Staff

Last edited 11/11/2022 5:06:28 AM by Abigail Richardson